Review of From Hollywood to Haight-Ashbury in the '60s

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Review of From Hollywood to Haight-Ashbury in the '60s

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Hollywood to Haight-Ashbury in the '60s" by T R Moore.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From Hollywood to Haight-Ashbury in the '60s by T R Moore is a book that describes with detail the 1960s in the US, the world of rock'n'roll and hippie culture. Set in California, protagonist Mark will pursue his dream of being a recording engineer and talent agent. During his journey to achieve his goals, the protagonist will meet many women and musicians who will go down in history. The book tells the life of Mark from 18 to 28 years old.

There are several reports of sexual intercourse and drug experiences (such as LSD, for example). While this reality is the most well-known side of the music industry and hippie culture at the time, it couldn't be overlooked. However, such details and descriptions are of minor importance.

My favorite part of the book was getting to know the details of the music world in the 1960s. The number of talented people who died early because of their habits blew my mind. There are also details about the law of some US states that I was clueless about. For example, the author mentions a musician who was harassed by the authorities for saying "f*ck" on stage, which was illegal at the time. Of course, California back then wasn't the same liberal state it is today, but I thought the First Amendment protected that kind of talk.

The book has no grammatical errors, but the formatting is horrible and very unpleasant to read. Not only is the text small, but it also is not centered. The text takes up 15% of the page, and the rest is a blank page. It appears that the author doesn't know how to adapt his text to make it readable on Kindle. Moore needs to hire an editor as soon as possible.

I enjoyed reading From Hollywood to Haight-Ashbury in the '60s. It is a light, pleasant, and very informative read. There are many intriguing details about the music scene of the time. Several famous rockers appeared in the most diverse chapters, making the experience even more enjoyable. I had to deduct one star from the final score with a heavy heart due to the reasons mentioned in the paragraph above. Therefore, I rate it three out of four stars.

I recommend this book to anyone interested in the 1960s music scene. Various artists, including Jimi Hendrix, Mick Jagger, and Janis Joplin, are mentioned. The reader will find some profane words, but nothing excessive. Unlike the swear words, sexual descriptions are more obscene and repeatedly appear throughout the book. For this reason, I do not recommend this book to anyone under 16.

From Hollywood to Haight-Ashbury in the '60s
View: on Bookshelves
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Christopherio »

Seems like an interesting book but is not my book genre. thanks for the review.
Hue-Morningstar
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hue-morningstar.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Hue-Morningstar »

Music in the '60s, probabbly not my thing. Thanks for letting me know.

Return to “Historical Fiction”