Review of The Douglas Bastard

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Review of The Douglas Bastard

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Douglas Bastard" by J R Tomlin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When all hope is lost, even for an orphan that has been written off as nothing, a determination would push him to become the best. The Douglas Bastard: A Historical Novel of Scotland (The Black Douglas Trilogy Book 4) by J R Tomlin is about a boy named Archibald Douglas. When he was three, his family left Scotland for France, and he returned six years later. And he was called a bastard. The story began when his mother died from a long-time sickness in France. He was hurt but determined to be a knight like his father. He starts as a "page" with the help of King David. Then, he goes to Scotland with his older cousin, Sir William. This is just the beginning of a long journey for him. He learned a lot and learned them fast. Does he eventually fulfill his dream of being a knight? What challenges does he encounter on the way? The story also has a betrayal side, but we see Archie's side.

I found several positive aspects of the story. But the first thing I admired was Archibald, the story's hero. He has a unique and inspiring personality. Archie is bold, confident, and ambitious. I can go on and on about his good qualities from when his mother died at the age of 9 to when he went with his uncle, Sir William, to Scotland. He was determined to take on his father's legacy to the very end, disregarding what people thought of him being a lad that needed protection or his history of being a "Douglas bastard." And at this young age, even though his determination led him into disobedience several times, I still found his character inspiring.

Another aspect of the story I find intriguing is the historical part. From the dating (as in the time of the year things happened) to the war, both the ones Archie witnessed and the tales he heard, we see this story from Archie's eyes. I must also note that the stories throughout the book were narrated in great detail. This made me feel like I was a part of the story, as I could visualize most scenarios. However, I could not relate to some of the places and words. It was enlightening for me.

It had been a great read as I flipped through the pages. I appreciated how words were used. Throughout the book, I noticed a rich use of figures of speech such as simile, sarcasm, and metaphor. The general outlook of the book, from the setting to plot and characterization, was remarkable. It was professionally edited, as I found only two significant errors in the book. For me, I like the book in its entirety.

Without a doubt, The Douglas Bastard: A Historical Novel of Scotland (The Black Douglas Trilogy Book 4) gets 4 out of 4 stars from me, as I have little or no reservations about the book. I don't have any negative issues with the book. I am still lost in amazement at most of the scenes in the book. I loved every minute of reading it, even though I was a bit lost initially. I recommend this book to readers who love reading adventure and thriller books. I also recommend this to younger readers, whether orphans or with parents. Archie's story would inspire and encourage them to be the best regardless of their circumstances.

The Douglas Bastard
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Blessing E »

Nice. I appreciate well written reviews. This is because it gives me an idea of how to structure my reviews subsequently. Thanks teaching me what a good review is. And congratulations for having your review published.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

It's not quiet clear why he was called a bastard. But it's sure that he was in in a disadvantaged position and overcame all obstacles. Seems an interesting read.
beutiful_pen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beutiful-pen.html
Latest Review: The Decision by Michael D. Komeshak

Post by beutiful_pen »

Great review. The young boy is sure determined to become a knight.
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

What a story that teaches life's lessons. Thrillers and adventures are my favorites.
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Christopherio »

There's nothing more encouraging like someone who is determined to make a name for themselves after being put down as worthless. I would like to see where his determination gets him. Thanks for the review.
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by ellimctreph »

I love a good underdog story.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

I love the determination of the book to become what he wants to.

Return to “Historical Fiction”