Review of The Ironbark Hill Saga

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
siusantos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siusantos.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B01FJT7N4W

Re: Review of The Ironbark Hill Saga

Post by siusantos »

Wow, what a great review. It really sums up everything that needs to be expected from the book, both the good and the bad. It helped me decide if I'd want to read the book.
Pauls_
Currently Reading: A Dagger In The Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul.html
Latest Review: Recognizing Beauty by Cyndi Burrough

Post by Pauls_ »

The book is a story of the experiences - positive and negative of the Chapmans family at ironbark hill. The book has no action or suspense so I don't see myself reading it. I believe Natalie would serve as a great motivation to certain category of people. Congratulations on BOTD.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I have seen each of the individual books in Jennie Linnane's series pop up here over the years and am excited to see this in one big volume.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

I find it hard to understand the flow of the plot. It isn't clear on the book's trajectory. I shall skip today's BOTD for now.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
bishop_444
Favorite Book: Yesterday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bishop-444.html
Latest Review: The Reject Bench by James H Morgan

Post by bishop_444 »

There are significant positive aspects to this book. Complimentary to the novel's settings- the mid-1950s in Australia- the author captured major societal issues dominant within that period
She successfully addressed poverty, discrimination against aboriginal people because of their skin, and farming practices.
I feel like I have read this story several hundred times over the last two years. I think when it comes to social issues if we haven't become aware of them in the last two years I don't think we are going to. We should never stop talking about these issues, however, it's time for me to take a break from books with this theme.
The book was bland, with no action or suspense to spice things up. There were opportunities for the author to turn this book into a suspenseful read, but they were rather wasted.
Honestly, I'm not sure why the reviewer rated this a 3 out of 4 stars considering what their review stated about the book. All the above quotes as well as my statement above are why I've decided to skip this one.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

This book sounds as though it could be interesting, if for no other reason than to learn what life was like in Australia for aboriginals and part-aboriginals back then. I’m not sure about giving so many characters a voice as that can become daunting. However, I still think I’ll keep it in mind for when I finally have some free time. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

If I am being honest, I had no idea this novel was a fictional tale; I thought it was real. Natalie, even though she had a rough childhood, fought for her family and did her best to support them in any way she could. Thanks for the review!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Frank Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-mutuma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Frank Mutuma »

I love books with a family aspect. I also loved the historical facts in the book despite it being a work of fiction. Congratulations on BOTD
lilianchikasi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilianchikasi.html
Latest Review: From A Whore to a Whousewife by Felicia Cobbs

Post by lilianchikasi »

The book seems so soothing, calming, interesting and best of all inspiring. I love the character development, very relatable and I love the self-determination. This is definitely worth the read.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

Natalie seems like a great character. I hope she succeeds in escaping her stepfather and their life of poverty. Thank you for your review!
Taiwo_Olawoye
Currently Reading: OldEarth Aram Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1femi1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taiwo_Olawoye »

This fictional book sounds very interesting. You must dream and work on it irrespective of your limitations or humble beginnings. Natalie's story is a confirmation of this. Thanks for the review.
Paulette Reefer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paulette-reefer.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Paulette Reefer »

This review sparks my interest in reading the Ironbark Hill Saga just from the description of the protagonist as a gutsy and resilient individual.
John Arun Kumar
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-arun-kumar.html
Latest Review: Sophistries of Summer Days by Jenny Lofters

Post by John Arun Kumar »

This is a historical fiction set in Australia in 1950s. Jennie Linnane has captured well her personal experience into this nostalgic form highly chracter driven family plot surviving through drought ridden times. Your review has been written well. Congratulations on the BOTD!
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Interesting insights into a fictitious Australian family in the 1950’s with a dysfunctional alcoholic stepfather. Natalie continues to have real spunk, despite the environment she grew up in.
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

The book cover is a little bland. I wouldn't have given the book a second glance if not the review. I sympathize with the family for having such a patriarch and I'm glad that there is someone like Natalie in the family. Congratulations on BOTD.

Return to “Historical Fiction”