Review of I Couldn’t Milk Another Goat

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Review of I Couldn’t Milk Another Goat

Post by Atieno Magero »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Couldn’t Milk Another Goat" by Paul Arneson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Couldn’t Milk Another Goat tells the life story of Carrie Kirkeeide Thorson. Her grandson Paul Arneson helped her write this book because of her limited writing prowess in English. Carrie narrates her younger years growing up in Norway to her later years in America. Readers can expect to learn about Norwegian culture and life in America in the early twentieth century.

I love that the book is well summarized and structured. Sometimes books like this end up being too detailed. I also appreciate that the contents of the book follow a chronological order. It made it easier to track events and people mentioned.

The title of this book is what initially caught my eye. I realized the meaning and how it motivated Carrie to create a life for herself once I started reading. I like that the book contains supporting media to better the reader’s comprehension of the events mentioned. The book has photos, newspaper clippings, paintings, poems, and songs. Links are available to videos related to Carrie’s story. Accessing those links will be easy for those, like myself, who choose to read the Kindle version of this book.

I did not know much about Norwegian culture before reading I Couldn't Milk Another Goat. It was enjoyable to read and learn about it. I liked that the Norwegian community maintained loyalty to Norwegia after moving to America. I like that after moving to America, they tried their best to integrate while keeping some of their Nordic traditions.

I was stunned by how good Carrie’s memory was. Amazingly, she was able to recall so much. It must not have been easy for Carrie to summarize her life story and relive some of the things that happened to her. Readers can learn a lot from reading I Couldn’t Milk Another Goat. I like that Carrie was able to keep going despite the many painful things she went through. I admire her strength and resilience.

In Summary, I will be giving I Couldn’t Milk Another Goat a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Giving this book a lower rating would be a true injustice. I enjoyed reading Carrie Thorson’s story and did not come across anything in the book that I felt would warrant a star deduction. I would say the book was well edited. I only came across two minor errors while reading.

I would recommend I Couldn’t Milk Another Goat to readers interested in immigration stories. This book is also suitable for readers keen on Norwegian and American history. I would not recommend this book to people disinterested in reading books that highlight immigration stories and family histories.

I Couldn’t Milk Another Goat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruthwriter »

We all need another person's story in life to become experienced in a certain way.i love this life story and will like to recommend the book to my children.good review.
Barend V
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barend-v.html
Latest Review: Jake Miller by Billy Ray Williams

Post by Barend V »

This looks like an interesting book. The fact that the book integrates different media such as video, poetry, photograph etc., makes me quite excited. That could assist a lot in keeping the readers attention going. I enjoyed your review.
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

Barend V wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 10:08 This looks like an interesting book. The fact that the book integrates different media such as video, poetry, photograph etc., makes me quite excited. That could assist a lot in keeping the readers attention going. I enjoyed your review.
Thank you for very much ❤️
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:

Post by Atieno Magero »

Ruthwriter wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 13:04 We all need another person's story in life to become experienced in a certain way.i love this life story and will like to recommend the book to my children.good review.
Thank you for your comment!

Return to “Historical Fiction”