Review of Bone Necklace

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Review of Bone Necklace

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bone Necklace" by Julia Sullivan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bone Necklace by Julia Sullivan is a historical fiction novel set in the American West in 1877. After an attack by the Nez Perce Indians, Jack Peniel searches for his stepmother, Sally. Unable to find her, he joins forces with his father to deal with the Indians and possibly find peace. To make matters worse, his mule doesn't listen, and Jack is out of whiskey. Things never quite seem to come together for Jack. Will he ever be able to make his way in this war-torn frontier? To find out, you must read this book!

In just the first few chapters, I was aware of a lifetime of history belonging to Jack Peniel. It was so effortlessly woven into the storyline that it never felt like too much information. This skillful and adept writing style makes this book not only entertaining but an easy read. The flowing narrative carries a reader swiftly through from event to event seamlessly as the action mounts and the pace quickens at times.

There are welcome instances of humor in the narrative of this story that comes upon the unsuspecting reader without warning. I found myself enjoying that element on occasion. That moment of lightness would overtake the seriousness of a particular scene, such as when a hapless bugler blew his horn near the ear of Jack Penial, who was nursing a hangover.

What I liked best about this story was the excellent character development. As the reader follows Jack through one battle to another, there is a subtle transformation in how Jack views current events. The subject of right and wrong becomes a more prevalent issue, and the novel's tone changes. I feel that these aspects will resonate with readers on a deep and personal level.

As the book progresses, it is divided into four parts. Each part deals with different stages of events that affect sets of characters. This format helped break the book up and kept it from becoming tedious due to its length. The battle scenes are numerous and lengthy, and at times it felt like the story was getting lost in the long descriptions of gruesome deaths and mutilation.

I enjoyed the depth of feeling in many of the characters. The love between Running Bird and Prairie Dove was important to the novel. Their relationship echoed the strength and bond of people throughout generations who have lived through times of war. Readers will enjoy how vivid and intense the character's personalities are in this story.

I found nothing too negative to mention about this book. It is exceptionally well edited and without error. It employs fictional characters that are supported by the foundation of true history. This tactic has given the book depth of feeling along with historical accuracy. I especially enjoyed how it included photos of historical characters. For these reasons, it has achieved a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy a novel that takes them back in time and delivers a close account of what it was like during the Indian wars. It will appeal most to students of history who love a good story. This book has frequent severe profanity scattered throughout. The grotesque injuries, gruesome scenes, massacres, and violence that one would expect when reading about Indian wars are present in this novel. Therefore it is best suited to a mature audience. Fans of historical novels set in the American West will enjoy this book.

Bone Necklace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Fearnia Laurel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fearnia-laurel.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Fearnia Laurel »

This seems to be a well-written historical fiction; accurately depicted story based on true history, good character development, skillful narrative. Thank you for the review.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Mrs Geddes and other stories by Saman Mahanama Dissanayake

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

This historical fiction novel is set in the American West during the Indian Wars. It seems to have several attractive aspects such as the excellent development of the characters, touches of humor, and depth of feelings in many of the characters. However, the severe profanities and violence make it suitable only for a mature audience.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Congrats on BOTD. Those who are interested in the Nez Perce tribe and their battle against the U.S. Army will enjoy this historical novel.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Historical fiction is not my thing but this novel offers insights into a tragic part of US history I know very little about. It uses fiction to tell some ugly truths about an ugly American war. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is an historical fiction novel set in the American West in 1877. Readers will enjoy the action-packed, high suspense scenes, as well as the distinct personalities of each character. Those who enjoy stories of war, especially ones about individuals whose lives were transformed as a result, will be fully engaged from start to finish. Thank you for the helpful review! :-)
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 80354
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 793%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book 📖📖of the day BOTD is historical fiction dating back in the 18th century a tale of surviving in which Nez Perce over come staggering odd but also win the grudging respect of war weary nation while deeply rooted in American history the story continue to resonate illuminating modern debete around institutional racism, journalistic bias and the call for courage in time's of moral crisis.. the story was well written I picture the events in this book reading it and it was also given a nice review making it easier to understand I will recommend it 💯✅ 📖
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

There are welcome instances of humor in the narrative of this story that comes upon the unsuspecting reader without warning. I found myself enjoying that element on occasion. That moment of lightness would overtake the seriousness of a particular scene, such as when a hapless bugler blew his horn near the ear of Jack Penial, who was nursing a hangover.
That's funny :D And I always cherish that authors take the time, even in serious books, for a bit of humor.
What I liked best about this story was the excellent character development. As the reader follows Jack through one battle to another, there is a subtle transformation in how Jack views current events. The subject of right and wrong becomes a more prevalent issue, and the novel's tone changes. I feel that these aspects will resonate with readers on a deep and personal level.
I love it when we can see characters grow along the plot. Stagnant characters just don't feel realistic, and I never get as involved.

Good review!
Abimbola Oladokun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abimbola-oladokun.html
Latest Review: Diabolus In Musica by Richard Rees

Post by Abimbola Oladokun »

Although historical fiction is one of my favorite genres, the concept of the American war is not something I'm interested in reading. All the same, congratulations on being the BOTD.
Grace Elkana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Post by Grace Elkana »

Even for historical fiction books, humor is a welcome addition. I believe this book will be interesting.
Ekuma Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekuma-blessing.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd Edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekuma Blessing »

Historical fiction is not my kind but the transformation was sparking, the love between running bird and prairie does get me inspired. Excellent review! Congratulations on the BOTD.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Im glad to hear of Jack's change in attitude.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I love historical novels; however, I don't care for strong profanity and violent and lengthy war scenes! I also enjoy historical novels with a romance in the mix, so I hate missing that part, but I just don't feel like reading a lot of violent content at this time! Thanks for the excellent review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I have only come across a few books about the Indian wars. I am glad this book includes humor about these devastating times in our history. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Edward Tuya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teller-tell-a-tale.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Edward Tuya »

Today's BOTD is an action-packed, entertaining historical fiction set in the American West in the late 19th century. It's about a fight for survival between the native Indian tribe of Nez Perce and the new arrivals, the Americans. Great book for fans of history and action! Thanks for your review and congratulations on BOTD.

Return to “Historical Fiction”