Review of Forty-One's Journey:

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 983
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Review of Forty-One's Journey:

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Forty-One's Journey:" by Ronald Forfinski, John M. Farren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Very few books have the ability to leave the reader with both a tear-stained face and a smile on their lips. Rare are the stories that are so special. R. Forfinski and J.M. Farren, Sr's Forty-One's Journey: A Car, The Dream, Their Story is one such remarkable book.

Donna Fiery Maze met the love of her life in the late 1930s. She married Alex Maze in 1941. It was indeed a special year for the couple. They purchased a ruby red Chevrolet Special Deluxe Sedan. Forty-One, as they christened the car, became a part of the family. Inexplicably, Forty-One came with a golden retriever puppy. The couple adopted her and named her Tiger. Thus, even in the turbulent years of war, Donna began her happily married life with Alex, Forty-One, and Tiger. Being a skilled worker at Buhls Company, Alex was needed on the Homefront. Hence, his deployment was deferred. However, Alex started feeling uneasy as the war years crept by. He wanted to do something more for his country. With the promise of returning safely, Alex left for the war in Europe. Forty-One and Tiger remained Donna's faithful companions as she tried her best to survive the war on the Homefront. Forty-One became the symbol of all her hopes for the future in Alex's absence. However, things took a drastic turn in 1944. Donna was left only with Forty-One. The car was nothing short of a family member for her. She was determined that she would never sell it.

Years later, Don Bryniarski, a car enthusiast and a big shot director of his company, happened upon a 1941 ruby red Chevrolet Special Deluxe Sedan by chance. He bought the car on the spot. Something about the car drew him in. He wanted to know everything about it. Surprisingly, he also found a blonde golden retriever puppy in his newly bought vintage car. The puppy was named Tiger purely by coincidence. With the support of his wife, Ann, Don started a quest to trace the original owner of the car.

What was so special about the ruby red Chevrolet Special Deluxe Sedan? Was Don's car actually Fiery's Forty-One? If so, what separated her from the car? Would she ever get her car back? In fact, how was Don connected to Donna Fiery Maze?

Forty-One's Journey: A Car, The Dream, Their Story is nothing short of a saga. The book takes the reader on a ride of a lifetime. It is like a time machine that takes you on a trip that spans from the late 1930s to the early 2000s. The authors beautifully portray the turbulent yet glorious years of the past. Through Sylvia's story, they depict the hardships that the Great Depression wrought. Being a WWII buff, I would love to say that the way they focused more on the struggles at the Homefront truly won my heart. They talked about the uncertain lives of the men, women, and children that were left behind. I especially liked the straightforward manner they used to talk about how the women, who worked at the factory, were let go when the men returned after the war.

The authors wonderfully showcased the evolution of technology and computer through Don's story. We also get to see the creation of new security systems after the 9/11 terror attacks. The information is portrayed in such an interesting manner that it never gets tedious.

In addition to the engaging plot, the authors were successful in creating well-rounded characters. More often than not, I wondered if Aunt Fiery was indeed a real person. Her love for Alex was true and passionate. The song, As Time Goes By, became a symbol of their everlasting love. Fiery was a beautiful woman who deserved to get a second chance to live the life that the war took away from her. The book makes you wonder if Forty-One would be able to fulfill her dream to reunite with her lost love.

Don and Ann were great people anyone would like to meet. Their love story was adorable. It was evident that they were meant to be.

Forty-One's Journey: A Car, The Dream, Their Story is a perfect read for every car enthusiast. It gives us a detailed yet interesting history of cars. I believe people who love history, especially WWII facts, would love this book. The novel has a touch of magical elements. So, readers who like to be a little spooked would enjoy this book as well.

This is a special book that has no shortcomings. With the exception of a few minor errors, the editing is professional. I would gladly award this amazing book a perfect score of 4 out of 4 stars.

Forty-One's Journey:
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

I'm a sucker for romance and this book seems to have just the right amount for me. I'm also curious to know what was so special about the the red Chevrolet Special Deluxe Sedan. Nicely written review.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 983
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Paully_ wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 12:11 I'm a sucker for romance and this book seems to have just the right amount for me. I'm also curious to know what was so special about the the red Chevrolet Special Deluxe Sedan. Nicely written review.
Thank you so much, Paully!
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

This book sounds very interesting. It make me wonder about the cars journey and how the people involved are connected. Nice review.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

From your review, it is shown that this book will be emotional. I think this is my kind of book. I will read it. Great review.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

I don't like historical fiction, but historical romance is a different case entirely. Thanks for the review.
it is what it is ....
Ajay Rudrapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajay-rudrapati.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Ajay Rudrapati »

I am very much awaited to read this book, Your review motivated me to read this book ASAP. The way you inculcated the details of the book in a very clear manner is impressive. Thank you

Return to “Historical Fiction”