Review of Kansas Prairie Promises

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Bob and Bobbie and Other Short Stories by Derek Richard Fairey
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Kansas Prairie Promises

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kansas Prairie Promises" by Sharon Durken.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you loved reading Little House on the Prairie as a child, you would probably enjoy reading Kansas Prairie Promises as an adult. The settings and characters have the same feel, but mature content has been added. Sharon Durken’s second novel explores the formidable elements of prairie life, slavery, and injustices to women and Native Americans that Laura Ingalls left out. The author’s extensive research insures the accuracy of this historical novel.

The protagonist is an 11-year-old girl named Lucinda. She raises her two young sisters after her mother dies in childbirth. Her father, an Army officer, is often gone for weeks at a time on military assignments. This forced maturity creates a unique coming-of-age story that will break your heart. If you know an 11-year-old child, you might wonder how a girl this young could handle the daily chores required of life on the prairie in 1859 all by herself. Saying that times were different back then might be an understatement, but the reality is that without Google or Siri, most of us would not be able to survive on our own.

Many themes keep this story relevant. The theme of friendship is prominent as readers are introduced to Maddie, a black slave girl, and Lone Feather, an orphan Indian child. These three children form a life-long bond despite their differences. Oppression is another theme as the author reveals the unjust expectations and attitudes that were common during this era. The character of Lucinda’s father portrays the hardship that men faced trying to meet society’s obligations during this time. Surviving when it seems impossible to do so is the overall theme that keeps this story meaningful.

At times, the chronology of the plot felt wrong, and some scenes were out of place, but this wasn’t enough to lower my rating. There were a few minor errors, but the narrative was so engrossing that the errors were easy to miss if you weren’t looking for them. The author's writing held my interest both visually and emotionally as I followed the adventures of this prairie family through their accomplishments and travails.

I am happy to award this book 4 out of 4 stars. Although the descriptions of sexual activities are not erotic or graphic, they do limit the audience to older teens and adults. Learning the truth about this era and its effect on shaping our country is a valuable lesson to learn. Sharon Durken has accomplished that educational goal in an entertaining manner. Historical fiction aficionados are encouraged to get aboard this wagon train adventure.

Kansas Prairie Promises
View: on Bookshelves
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

After reading your review, I decided I must get this book! I love historical fiction, and I ALWAYS watched "Little House on the Prairie, so it goes without saying I will enjoy this book! Thanks for another excellent review and recommendation.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

This book seems like a good historical fiction I would love to read. Although I have not seen the show you referenced, the themes were written about are relatable.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

B Creech wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 17:42 After reading your review, I decided I must get this book! I love historical fiction, and I ALWAYS watched "Little House on the Prairie, so it goes without saying I will enjoy this book! Thanks for another excellent review and recommendation.
Thanks, B Creech, I hope you enjoy it.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Francis_Reads wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 14:12 This book seems like a good historical fiction I would love to read. Although I have not seen the show you referenced, the themes were written about are relatable.
Thanks, Francis_Reads. I was actually referencing the children's book, not the show that was based on the book, but they were both good.
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

Lucinda seems like an interesting character who takes up the responsibility of her siblings. Kudos in the awesome review. I can't wait to read it.
Poetic Justice
just_joy
Currently Reading: The Story Of...
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-just-joy.html
Latest Review: Agatha the Beloved Queen by Fred Pilcher

Post by just_joy »

Lucinda's journey makes me feel grateful for who I am and all that I have .I also take a couple of lessons with me such as bravery and responsibility
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Sarah1738 wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 14:22 Lucinda seems like an interesting character who takes up the responsibility of her siblings. Kudos in the awesome review. I can't wait to read it.
Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-freeman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tonia Freeman »

As a Kansas native, I will have to put this on my list to read. Thanks for the great review. The book sounds interesting for sure. You don't happen to be from Kansas as well do you? I also see that you are reading The Midnight Library, I loved that book :romance-smileyheart: Hope you do as well.
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

Sharon Durken’s second novel explores the formidable elements of prairie life, slavery, and injustices to women and Native Americans that Laura Ingalls left out. The author’s extensive research insures the accuracy of this historical novel.
That's a commendable feature of the book.
I feel well informed about the book after reading your comprehensive review. You have described the essence of the story and I'd like to find out more. Thank you diana lowery.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Mrs D O wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 14:13
Sharon Durken’s second novel explores the formidable elements of prairie life, slavery, and injustices to women and Native Americans that Laura Ingalls left out. The author’s extensive research insures the accuracy of this historical novel.
That's a commendable feature of the book.
I feel well informed about the book after reading your comprehensive review. You have described the essence of the story and I'd like to find out more. Thank you diana lowery.
Thank you for the compliment. I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I have not read Little House on the Prairie, but heard a lot about it :) I believe Kansas Prairie Promises is a very valuable reading as well, considering how many important topics it covers. Thank you for this insightful review!
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Thank you, Ellylion. I appreciate your comment. There was a popular tv series based on the book, and while I was reading this book, it was hard to imagine the appearance of the characters not looking like the ones from the series.
Moyin Loveth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moyin-loveth.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Moyin Loveth »

I really enjoyed reading Little house on the prairie, so I hope I can enjoy this book as much. Thanks for sharing such a well-written review.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Joy Karimi 2 wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 16:20 Lucinda's journey makes me feel grateful for who I am and all that I have .I also take a couple of lessons with me such as bravery and responsibility
Yes, I felt the same way. Thank you for your comment.

Return to “Historical Fiction”