Review of Eloise of Westhaven

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Eloise of Westhaven

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Eloise of Westhaven" by Jean Archambault-White.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pioneer life in Kansas was anything but easy. Eloise and her family struggled to make a living off the land with its nutrient-poor soil causing their efforts to fail. Despite the hardships, her parents' love supported Eloise through her childhood and taught her the many skills she would need to survive. But what will Eloise do after she becomes the last living member of her family?

A generous family in town takes her in and gives the 17-year-old girl a chance to find her way, but Eloise must learn to accept their gifts and pass on the blessings to others in need. Join Eloise as she navigates the trials and challenges of frontier life in Eloise of Westhaven by Jean Archambault-White.

I thoroughly enjoyed this historical coming-of-age novel. The author captured my attention with a fantastic female protagonist who was ready and willing to learn, work hard, and practice her faith. I loved that the author provided thoughtful insights about loving others, growing up, respecting others' feelings, and many more helpful life lessons. The author packaged each bit of wisdom in an easy-to-digest manner that would resonate with young readers and satisfied me with the inspirational takeaways woven carefully into the captivating scenes throughout the book.

My favorite part of the novel was the developing relationship between Eloise and David. The author see-sawed back and forth, leaving the reader in suspense about how things would turn out. Would they become best friends in a brother-sister-like way? Or would they develop romantic feelings for each other? I was hard-pressed to guess which way it would go, and I was satisfied with the author's decision. I also adored the passages that focused on Eloise's ability to work with unruly children. I felt like the pranks and discipline in these sections provided the best opportunities to learn the wisdom the author wanted to pass on. These sections also showed Eloise at her best, a patient but determined young woman with a good head on her shoulders.

There was nothing that I disliked about the story, but unfortunately, I noticed quite a few proofreading errors. While these minor issues did not detract significantly from the book's readability, I had to reduce the rating. Therefore, I give Eloise of Westhaven three out of four stars.

I recommend this fantastic novel to readers of all ages, especially those who seek faith-based historical fiction. The author shares simple biblical faith throughout Eloise's journey and encourages the messages of loving others and generosity. The existence of no strong language or erotic content made the book well-suited for middle-grade and young adult readers. Fans of Janette Oak and other inspirational fiction writers may also enjoy this book.

Eloise of Westhaven
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Historical Fiction”