Review of Still Here

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Review of Still Here

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Still Here" by Christine Duffy Zerillo.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In older times, Indigenous Americans simply lived in peace with and reverence for Mother Earth. But the coming of white men from across the sea changed a lot of things. One of the most monumental efforts the Indians made to protect their heritage against white settlers, who said one thing in their treaties and did another, was King Phillip’s War. It was in this war that Weetamoo fought courageously, leading the Pocasset people in an alliance with Metacomet. It was also during this war that Mary Rowlandson, an English settler and a captive of the Indians, remained Weetamoo’s slave for eleven weeks.

Still Here by Christine Duffy Zerillo narrates the stories of these two women who couldn’t be any more different from each other but are similar in that they find themselves in situations where survival means everything. This book takes readers through important events in the war, such as raids, Weetamoo’s marriages, and other significant battles. But Zerillo still shows the beauty of mundane things like taking down a wetu (camp house), cleansing in a pesuponk (sweat house), and so much more. By bringing such small details to life, Zerillo created an immersive experience that can transport the reader right to Weetamoo’s side and Mary’s suffering.

Zerillo narrated this story in the third person, often interchanging the focus between Weetamoo and Mary. At the beginning of Mary’s story, we see her leading a calm and respectful life as is expected of her as a minister’s wife. Although I did not initially understand Mary’s significance, the base story turned out to be a great addition to the book, as it provided a deep understanding of how starkly different her time in captivity was from her normal life. I also enjoyed the parts that focused on Weetamoo. Although using a third-person narrative style, Zerillo was able to give Weetamoo a strong and compelling voice befitting her status and efforts in the war.

Asides from compelling voices that bring King Phillip’s War closer to home, this book contains a wealth of Indian historical knowledge while remaining as interesting as any fiction novel. Zerillo wrote deftly and fluidly. I had no complaints about the author’s creative decisions and writing style. To top things off, she included a detailed reference section and explained the Indian words and personalities that might initially seem strange to the average reader.

However, I had some complaints. The ebook’s font was too small, causing my concentration to break many times. Due to the ebook’s rigid format, I could not highlight any important words or events (to revisit them). However, reading this book in its paperback format could be a better experience. Additionally, while including details can be a good way to create a more personal and striking story from history, it’s important to avoid overdoing it. I felt that at a few points, there were some mundanities Zerillo could have skipped to improve the story’s flow. For the above reasons, I rate Still Here 3 out of 4 stars. Readers who enjoy historical stories and are interested in learning more about Indian American culture will love this book.

Still Here
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

This sounds like a really captivating book. The themes it mentions feel very in-depth and fascinating. Also, I've never read about indigenous Americans before.
it is what it is ....
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

I don't think I have ever read any book about indigenous Americans, so this quite interests me .

Return to “Historical Fiction”