Review of Transported

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Transported

Post by Melisa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Transported" by Keith McConnell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Some people confuse friends with acquaintances. However, a keen look at them shows a tremendous difference; unlike acquaintances, friends always stick together, no matter the situation. In fact, friends get closer whenever one of them is faced with some difficulties. On the other hand, Acquaintances are only together during good times. For this reason, friendships should be taken seriously, as it is hard to find genuine friendships. Transported by Keith McConnell is a fictional adventure novel about genuine friendships.

In this book, Alfred, a young boy, is falsely accused of theft, convicted, and separated from his mother at a young age. He is transported to different places to be punished for his crime. Once, when he was on a ship with another young boy, Daniel, they became friends. During awkward circumstances, they communicated using sign language. An unexpected accident occurs. Was Daniel involved in this accident? How does this accident affect Daniel? What about Alfred? To find answers to this question, you should pick this book.

This book has three hundred and fifty-four pages. It is divided into fifty-nine chapters, each with a subheading that tells a bit about what the chapter is about. It is written from the third-person point of view. The book uses both the past and present tenses. The book starts with a brief introduction that gives an overview of what the book is about.

I liked several things about this book. However, in this review, I'll only mention a few that I liked the most. First, I liked how the author used flashbacks to explain to the reader the circumstances that led to the characters' present lives. For example, the author uses this stylistic device to reveal to the readers how Alfred had been born and what his mother had gone through to survive with her son. Second, the author uses irony as a stylistic device throughout this book. As a reader, I've always enjoyed the use of this device. For example, I found it ironic that while Daniel and Alfred were close friends who even made a pact never to forget each other, Alfred did not think much of Daniel. However, despite all these, Daniel still maintained the pact and, at some point, even reached out to Alfred. Third, sometimes, the author uses the characters' names as titles of some chapters. This helps in getting each character's perspective; hence, most of the characters were efficiently developed. Since I did not find any grammatical errors while reading, this book was exceptionally well-edited.

Although this is a great book, I noticed some flaws. First, the author introduced so many places and minor characters. I found it especially hard to remember the names of all these places. I had to start keeping manual notes of the names of these places to keep track of the plot as it developed. This greatly slowed down my reading. Second, the document I received wasn't very well formatted. Some pages were skewed to the right, while others to the left. This made me zoom in or out of my screen whenever I opened a new page. However, I don't think this will affect anyone who gets the file in other formats.

In conclusion, this is a very entertaining book about friendship. Although I noticed some flaws, their effects were not very significant. I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. If it were possible, I would have rated it 3.5 out of 4 stars because of the aforementioned flaws. I recommend this book to anyone interested in books about friendship and adventure.

Transported
View: on Bookshelves
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Radhika Nair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-nair.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Radhika Nair »

I love reading stories that feature good, genuine, lasting friendships. And irony is always the perfect seasoning to draw out the flavour of a clever tale. I enjoyed reading your informative review.
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

True friends are rare to find but when you are lucky to have one he/she can stick better than a brother. The plot of this book is interesting and entertaining. I look forward to reading the book. Wonderful review!!!!

Return to “Historical Fiction”