Review of Nell's West

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Review of Nell's West

Post by José Cortez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nell's West" by Erin Eldridge.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nell's West by Erin Elridge is a book set in the mid 1800's. It tells the story of Nell, a young girl who was forced to become an adult at the young age of 11.

Nell lost her mum and baby brother and was left to take care of her dad and their farm. With Nathan, her dad, believing that moving to Oregon would bring them good fortune, Nell followed suit en route to Oregon, hoping her father was right. Was Nathan right all along? How much success will moving on bring to the duo, especially Nell? Follow Nell as life takes her on different journeys.

The predominant themes in this book are love, death, courage, perseverance and survival. There are many positive aspects to this book. First is the storyline; it was amazing. The book tells a great story. I liked the way the story was written. The detailed descriptions were beautiful. I liked the story's setting; it had an historical story setting which I haven't read of in the past. I liked the characters; they played their parts perfectly, and it made everything look and feel real. I liked Nick the most. He is a compassionate fellow. I learned a lot from this book. I got a clearer picture of what life looked like in Frontier America. I learned how transportation was made from town to town, their business life, the use of donkeys and horses, and their love lives as well. This story has lots of turns. It kept me on my toes all through my read. I'd say the tool of suspense was very well employed in this book, and I like that. I felt sad a couple of times too, but I also knew the author wouldn't disappoint.

The one thing I did not like about this book is the type of English language spoken in some parts of this book. It was predominant amongst the emigrants, the state, the people of Yreka, and other not-so-educated persons. This version of English in question was quite hard for me to comprehend. The words had different spellings and pronunciations. I had to read each one multiple times before I understood them.

This book was well written and edited; I barely spotted any errors while I read this book. Therefore, this book was professionally edited. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give this book a lower rating because I believe it’s worth this rating. As much as the language was rather confusing, it didn’t hold me back from enjoying this book. I recommend this book to lovers of adventure and good books.

Nell's West
View: on Bookshelves
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Thanks for your review. There is more to this book than I initially thought, having seen the cover. I'm not too fond of the cover art because of the head growing out of the horizon.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

Nell sounds like a great character. I also love that the book is set in the 1800s. Thanks for the review.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

This sounds like a heartfelt and amazing book! I can't wait to read this book and learn more about the duo's journey and how the big move will affect both of them. Learning to become an adult at 11 and also experiencing the great loss that Nell did at such a young age is heartbreaking. I do believe this made her stronger and able to stand on her own two feet earlier than she would have had to. Well done on your review and for #BOTD!
Phoebe Felix
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoebe-felix.html
Latest Review: Dark Agendas of Power by Kevin Glenn

Post by Phoebe Felix »

Nell seems like a truckload of baggage. She had so much going on in her life that one would wonder if she will ever have a break. This looks like a story I will like to see to the end.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

Nell faced such an unbearable challenges even at a very tender age. Being a young carer at 11 years will surely take it tolls on her.
I hope she saw light eventually.
Nice review. Congrats on the BOTD.
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

An adventure filled story book "Nell's West" by Erin Eldridge, which follows an eleven years old Nell, who had to take the responsibility of an adult because of losing parents. The story looks engaging to me.
Last edited by Sanju Lali on 02 Feb 2023, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

Sounds like Nell went through a whole lot of stuff. Becoming an adult and taking up responsibly at a young age is just too much. Was moving to Oregon the best option? Rushing to read this book. Thanks for the review and Congratulations to the author on BOTD.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

It feels like a storyline that has been tried many times before and which I like: move, adventure, hardship, and interesting characters. I had to laugh when reading another comment about the cover of the book. To me it seems dreamy and intriguing, I didn't connect the head to the horizon.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a unique inspirational historical fiction novel highlighting family, loss, journey, love, death, courage, perseverance, suspense and survival. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Esther Godwin Ogechi
Currently Reading: Adventures with Pop Pop at Grant’s Farm
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-godwin-ogechi.html
Latest Review: Worldmaker of Yand - Eltanin by Andri E. Elia

Post by Esther Godwin Ogechi »

Broken English is very fascinating. It tickles your senses while you try to make sense of jumbled words. The storyline is an interesting one and would love to read this. Congratulations on BOTD.
For I know the thought I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, not of evil, to give you an expected end.Jeremiah 29:11
Daria Berezovska
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Daria Berezovska »

The review is quite insightful. Your description of the book language must motivate well those who adore the details and deep immersion in the story. A possibility to feel as if being the direct observer of the event is probably the best praise for the author. I have enjoyed those descriptions, too. Besides, the language of the immigrants that you mention can seem difficult but is an important element of the style that must make the reader even more engaged in the Californian atmosphere of 1800s and Nell's experiences. The same aspect supports my idea that the diversity of the world and people is one of the crucial messages that Eldridge brings to the readers.
TrollFog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by TrollFog »

Sounds like a book that could definitely teach you something.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 80354
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 793%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book of the day is historical friction @11yo she was forced to be an adult! The story happened in the 18th century in Iowa! she lost her mom and siblings, she was left to look after her dad she moved west to Oregon trail alone in a hostile country.. She later met good and bad people and even found love that broke her heart, put her in danger, changed fortune. But through it all with her courage she moulded herself into a true pioneer woman of the old west she also pay attributed to a Young woman in times of great flux ..I love this story it was we'll written and reviewed I will recommend it
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

While I am not a historical fiction novels reader I still added this book to my TBR. It might be interesting to read outside my usual reading and Nell seems like a compiling character. Like you I am not fond of the language used. I think that the effect author tried to make would still be achieved without it. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

Return to “Historical Fiction”