Review of Nell's West

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kathryn Luisa Lauritzen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-luisa-lauritzen.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Re: Review of Nell's West

Post by Kathryn Luisa Lauritzen »

This is a decently written review and it makes the book sound great. However, I feel the reviewer is focusing too much on generalities rather than giving me examples in the book that would pique my interest. The summary of the book does make me want to read the book so I can learn more about the main character Nell and her journey as someone who has gone through so much at a such young age.
Mary Bircher
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: I'll Stop the World
Bookshelf Size: 732
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-bircher.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mary Bircher »

I'm a huge fan of books taking place in the 1800s. But I stick to the Victorian classics that take place in England, so I don't know much about the western United States in those times. I have read about the Donner party, and that seems to be kind of similar to this book. Obviously, what happened isn't the same, but it seems to be the same idea: going West, uprooting your entire life, and entering a desolate wilderness. The openness of the space kind of scares me. I wonder if the setting helps to support the themes. It's so hard to imagine being so isolated!
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

In the fictional story Nell's West, a little girl experiences growing up in a cold, chilly western climate. With her father as her main support, she tries to navigate and survive the harsh life in Oregon. She would have to overcome her broken heart and find courage to stand against those who wished her harm. Thanks for your review.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

I believe that this is a story of love, family, drama, and Nell's life. I will really love to read on what happens to them after relocating. Congratulations to the author on winning book of the day.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

A story of a young girl as she goes through trials and tribulations in her life. The themes about love, courage, and perseverance makes this book sound like a very inspirational read. Congrats on BOTD!
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

With the prominent themes of love, death, courage, perseverance and survival, the lucky reader has a lot to look forward to in Eldridge's work.
Peach-luv
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Peach-luv »

Thanks for the review. A this book that covers love, death, courage, perseverance and survival is one which is worth reading .Losing a mother and brother and being forced to be an adult is something I don’t wish on anybody and I would like to see how Nelly perseveres
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: Nell's West' by Erin Eldridge is an enriching account of the story of a young girl, Nell, who was forced to become an adult at the age of 11 for keen readers. It sheds light on every aspect of the book for readers. The point that the predominant themes in this book are love, death, courage, perseverance, and survival is worth mentioning in the review. Also, the point that the readers get a clearer picture of what life looks like in Frontier America, as mentioned in the review, is remarkable for readers. It was great to learn that the storyline is amazing!
Felicia Carrara
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicia-carrara.html
Latest Review: Power Glass by Katherine Cooper

Post by Felicia Carrara »

The sample I read was pretty engaging, but I definitely see how it could have borrowed an overused storyline from other books. Hopefully, after reading further I will discover that the author really puts their own twist on it. Good review!
Adekeye Hassan musab
Currently Reading: My Other Half
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adekeye-hassan-musab.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Adekeye Hassan musab »

Nell seems like a compelling character to read, being forced to grow up is one of the harshest things to go through in life especially through the death of someone beloved. I hope she does find the best in life I will give this a read to enjoy it. Thanks for the review.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

It's sad that Nell couldn't have a normal childhood. It seems to be a simple but charming story. Apparently, the characters in the book use a type of English that is difficult to understand; I wonder if that will prevent me from enjoying reading. Thanks for the review.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Nell's a beauty, but I'd rather not have her face on the cover. The prologue was humorous, and the first chapters were nicely written. I think I will enjoy this story. Nathan seems too bad (such a weakling!) to be true, though.
Reva Parker
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reva-parker.html
Latest Review: Dear Abigail by Richard Rees

Post by Reva Parker »

Thank you for your wonderful review. After reading your review, I am going to reconsider adding this book to my list to read. I'm curious to know what has happened in Nell's life and where she is headed. I'm glad it was edited well. I also wonder what she does in the book and about how she ended up in the room with a gun.
John Arun Kumar
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-arun-kumar.html
Latest Review: Sophistries of Summer Days by Jenny Lofters

Post by John Arun Kumar »

This is a fiction. Erin Elridge seems to have creatively captured the life on the move to Oregon in1800's through the protagonist Nell's story. Your review is well written. I like adventure stories. Congratulations on the BOTD!
Naina1547
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Affairs at Styles
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naina1547.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Naina1547 »

Thanks for such a well-described review. Actually, I didn't feel like reading this book after seeing its cover. I just didn't like that cover. But your review made me change my mind. Since you mentioned people who love adventures would like this book, I'm adding it to the to-read list. Let's see whether I would feel the same as you...

Return to “Historical Fiction”