Review of Privilged Descendants

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Review of Privilged Descendants

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Privilged Descendants" by Gernot Hucek.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Privileged Descendants is a book by Gernot Hucek, centered on the noble von Hohenwart family during the ten years that allied forces occupied Austria during the post-WWII period. Count Florian von Hohenwart, his wife, Isabel, and their two children, Lucas and Marie, returned to Austria after eighteen years in Switzerland in 1951. In their absence, Friedrich and Gretchen von Bruhl handled the smooth running of the castle. It didn't take much time for Lucas and Marie to get accustomed to Austria. They noticed how the citizens struggled to break free from the shackles of the aftermath of the war. Marie chose to go into politics, so she could be among those that would help Austria regain its freedom. Lucas went into the banking sector but later diverted to the agricultural industry. They encountered various circumstances, which they found ways to overcome. Gretchen had a daughter named Sophie Amalie von Bruhl, an art enthusiast who got involved with a married man, Mr. Aziz Sulayman, which was against their culture. Later on, Mr. Aziz was found dead in his apartment by a woman. An investigation was launched to ascertain the cause of his death. To find out the prime suspects and the ripple effect this incident would have on some of the characters, I'll advise picking up a copy of this masterpiece. The narrative kept changing from one character's life to another.

There were various admirable qualities. At the beginning of the book, the author lists the main characters' names. I thought highly of this gesture because readers were made acquainted with the names they would be seeing while reading. The author was thoughtful enough to incorporate live images into the book. I appreciated this gesture because it made the contents more striking. Readers could also visualize the message being passed across effortlessly. I loved the relationship between the von Hohenwart family. I appreciated that Marie could tell her mother, Isabel, anything bothering her, and her mother would advise and help her without derogatory words. And the relationship Lucas had with Florian, too, adequately depicts a balanced family. I admired how the author didn't make the chapters lengthy. This made the contents easy to assimilate. It also eliminated any chance that boredom would have crept in. I loved the fast-paced narrative and the authentic writing style of the author.

I noticed a discrepancy on page 15 of the book. At the beginning of the chapter, Florian was said to have been assigned 180 men to lead, but after some time, it was reported that he had been appointed 150 men. I was confused by this. Numerous characters were mentioned, and this made it an uphill task to memorize their names. These, however, didn't affect my overall enjoyment of the book.

An aspect that affected my appreciation of the book was the numerous errors I encountered. This showed the book wasn't subjected to thorough editing. Because of this, I'll be giving it a rating of three out of four stars.

I recommend Privileged Descendants to avid readers fascinated by books in the historical fiction genre with intriguing characters and a captivating storyline.

Privilged Descendants
View: on Bookshelves
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I loved the relationship between the von Hohenwart family.
Nice review. I imagine fleeing their home to Switzerland and returning after the German occupation ended would require family unity.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I am not usually a fan of war books but this is one of the many exceptions I have made in the past few days. I think this book is action packed and has a great atory to tell. I am always fascinated by authors who list characters names before beginning the book. Thanks for the nice summary of the book.
Doris Nzeket
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doris-nzeket.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Doris Nzeket »

I am wondering how Marie will breakthrough in her political career based on the fact that she is a woman. Also, living in a foreign land for more than a decade means she may not be fully accepted as a good candidate by her people. Her people may prefer someone that has gone through the challenges of war while still living in his/her country. Such a candidate is believed to have better understanding of her people. Thanks for the review.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

I really like that the book listed the names of the characters at the beginning, if many books that contain a lot if characters could do this reading will be less stressful and more easier.
Great job
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

War books don't interest me as much, but this one could be an exception as the book seems interesting. I appreciate the author for putting in images to help readers better relate to the book. Thanks for your recommendation.
Faith - Benny Any
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-benny-any.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Faith - Benny Any »

I'm not an ardent lover of historical fiction books, so I'll pass it on to people who love it. Notwithstanding, the plot seems suspense-filled and engaging. Welldone on a great review.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

I like that the book touches on the second world war. I must read this one.
Nweze Raalchukwu1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nweze-raalchukwu1.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nweze Raalchukwu1 »

I like historical fictions, couple this with a war story and you have my attention. Well written review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”