Autumn Winifred Oliver does things different

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
caity_cat_23
Currently Reading: Timebound
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caity-cat-23.html
Latest Review: "ABC Poems" by Helena Gershenzon and Galina Likhovetsky

Autumn Winifred Oliver does things different

Post by caity_cat_23 »

What would you think if they wanted to turn your home into a national park?

Autumn Winifred Oliver Does Things Different takes place in Cades Cove, Tennessee in 1934. Eleven year old Autumn can't wait to get the heck out of the little cove and move to Knoxville but when her plans get delayed, she has some interesting adventures. This delightful little gem is great to read before you take an actual trip to The Great Smoky Mountain National Park. This national park is the only one formed from privately owned land and this book tells the story of what happened to the people that lived there before the government came in.

I loved reading this book several years ago and I recently re-read it to my little cousin before we made a trip to the Smoky Mountains and she also loved it. Autumn's quirky adventures keep you on your toes and you can also learn some history about the national park without even realizing it. Autumn herself is fictional but many of the stories about her in the book did actually happen to real people that did live in the cove. I highly recommend this book, and I will read it again. It will really give you some perspective on how the park was formed and what life was like before it was declared government land. I give it 5 stars.
Cbrunyate
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander
Currently Reading: Swamplandia
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbrunyate.html
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by Cbrunyate »

Sounds like an interesting book. I'm going to look into it!
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

That sounds really cool! I lived in Kodak for a couple years, working in Knoxville, and I visited that park a few times. I'll definitely have to give this one a read!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
caity_cat_23
Currently Reading: Timebound
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caity-cat-23.html

Post by caity_cat_23 »

I realized that I didn't include the author or where to get it! How embarrasing. It's by Kristin O'Donnel Tubb and I bought my copy at a gift shop in Cades Cove but I believe it is also available on Amazon. As a frequent visitor to the park, I love it and I love sharing it. One of the best things is to look for the places mentioned in the book as you're exploring the park. If you do get it, I really hope you like it!
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

No worries! It's easy to forget that stuff when writing so much about the book itself! I looked it up on Amazon so I could add it to my bookshelves here on the "want to read" shelf :)
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Return to “Historical Fiction”