Review of The Guest From Johannesburg

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Itz Savaga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Review of The Guest From Johannesburg

Post by Itz Savaga »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Guest From Johannesburg" by Donald McPhail.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Duff Malone had just retired after a thirty-five-year meritorious service at Pan American Airlines and was ready to face his new life with his small family in Honolulu. As a parting gift, the company decided to write a special tribute to him for being their chief division manager across the Pacific and Asia over the years. They hired a special journalist from Johannesburg to do the interview. Unfortunately, things took a new turn; firstly, he had a heart attack at his retirement party. Then the interview opened up issues that greatly affected the later life of Duff Malone and his family. The Johannesburg guest journalist also had an ulterior motive that changed their lives after the interviews.

The Guest From Johannesburg by Donald McPhail is a story that centres on the life and travails of Duff Malone, a South African that lived outside his continent and prospered. The book is about bringing hope, peace, and contentment to people and in any work one is made to do.

This book provided some facts that I really loved. First, the author was practically about bringing peace to society amid stereotypes, wars and unemployment. In a world filled with violence, the right action to peace must be taken, and the book took care of that by providing less-likely suggestions that could produce massive results. It also showed the need for interpersonal relationships. Certain problems can be avoided when we decide to spread love and not hate to people around us, bringing them closer to us. As an adventure story, The Guest From Johannesburg provided guides to travel around the world, taking note of the different cultures and traditions of the people that lived across the Pacific and developing Asian countries. Moreso, through the personal fictional story of Duff Malone, the author touched on all the wars that had gone on in the 20th century providing historical backgrounds, the untold stories concerning those wars and the aftermaths of the wars on citizens across the globe. I also loved that the author described these events in diction best for the understanding of the reader who never saw these wars.

Other than the repetition of some details in some sections of the book, I generally found it really intriguing. It was also exceptionally well edited, so there is not much to dislike about it.

I give this book a four out of four stars rating. It was generally educating and contained lots of information needed for this generation and the ones to come. This book will help us spread peace and love regardless of race, status, and gender.

I recommend this book to all lovers of adventure and exploration novels. Advocates for peace will equally find The Guest From Johannesburg to be a great read.

The Guest From Johannesburg
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

I enjoyed reading the review and the storyline is captivating. It sounds like the book is informative (about historical facts) and at the same time it touches the many social issues of modern days. I am adding it to my shelves. Thank you for the review.
Bri Denzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-denzel.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Bri Denzel »

Lovers of adventure and exploration novels will definitely enjoy this one. Great review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”