Review of Historically Thinking

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of Historically Thinking

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Historically Thinking" by Mike Hillery.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Historically Thinking by Mike Hillery examined the importance and role of history in society. The author's analysis was from the perspective of the influence of history on Canadian society. Mike started by stating that the knowledge of history was necessary for understanding symbolic contexts in many areas, be it in entertainment, politics, or even the educational system. He presented the Canadian experience to show how history can serve as a tool to unify the many diverse cultures coexisting in the country and how that history could also play a role in fostering disunity. The question to be answered was this: should history be projected in a way that would support a common unified past, or should it allow the expression of historical diversity? Whatever the answer, it would demand a system by which it would be implemented in schools to ensure that no culture would be given more credence, considering the history of the Canadian Aboriginals.

First, the book was rendered in an essay form — more like an expository essay that was brief and straightforward. I would say the brevity of this book somehow made it even more profound. The author used examples and case studies of Canadian, British, and American experiences to drive his points home. The examples also came up when he discussed history's role in giving context to films, advertisements, and theater plays. There was a philosophical tone to the style in which the author marshaled his points. Clearly, this book was an expression of a concerned teacher and citizen about the future of his country.

The author examined the influence of history on the educational system and how that system had been altered to accommodate modern values and demands. I loved how the book was able to subtly point out the challenges that Canada's educational system faces in teaching history, which could be an issue in other courses as well. This would no doubt open up conversations that, in the end, could positively affect Canada's academic curriculum. Mike's analysis of the role of history in society was real and practical in that he examined the less-than-appealing perception of why learning history was no longer as crucial as other fields of study like computer science.

This book was a case for history — the place of history in society as both a unification tool and a separatist tool. The book looked at some essential themes like racism and imperialism and how thinking about history would help bring them into perspective and an understanding necessary for building a more inclusive society in the future. At the same time, we got a glimpse of the historical trajectory of the Canadian people and the influence of imperialism on that history.

The author's analysis aroused a newfound desire and interest in history because he showed how important the past was in determining the course of the future. Most importantly also, it showed its influence on the development of national identity. Many readers could view history as just a course about memorization. However, Mike managed to showcase the vital roles that history could play in our present and future and in developing critical thinking and discipline.

This book required further editing, as there were several errors. But overall, it was a thought-provoking and refreshing read, and I found nothing to dislike. This book would be most appreciated by history teachers in Canada and other countries with multicultural backgrounds. I’d rate Historically Thinking three out of four stars.

Historically Thinking
View: on Bookshelves
Luchris Curtis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-curtis.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1 by Tom Wick

Post by Luchris Curtis »

This book is based on the author's perspective and analysis, and it revolves around the fact that history is one of the vital things that affects the way we operate in society. I'd love to read this book. Thanks for your honest review.
Chrity Edwin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrity-edwin.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chrity Edwin »

From your review, this sounds like an interesting book to read. Would be adding it to my bookshelf ASAP. Nice review
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

I like that the book was written in an essay form. I would find it easy to read. Moreover, being a student of history I think I will enjoy this one.
Riya Sarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riya-sarkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Riya Sarkar »

History is quite important for us as a society. I'm glad to see that history's importance is being talked about.

Return to “Historical Fiction”