Review of Either Peace or War

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Review of Either Peace or War

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Either Peace or War" by Graydon McWilliams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“I miss war.”

This opening statement is peculiar and the most unlikely confession anyone could expect to find on the first page of a book. It captures your attention, sending you on a quest to discover why anyone would confess to liking what many would run away from. Currently, there is a buzzword that has been making rounds on social media in my country. The Swahili word is huezielewa, which loosely translates to you cannot comprehend. I have not found the perfect word to describe Either Peace or War by Graydon McWilliams; you can only fully appreciate this book after reading it.

After a punchy opening, I wondered whether the author would maintain the same captivating narration technique to the end. Often, most begin well, but midway the style changes and becomes humdrum. I'm glad Graydon did exceptionally well here. One of the aspects I enjoyed most about the book is how the author reveals what is treated as either right or wrong in the military. Often, he disclosed pieces of advice from his colleagues and seniors that revealed nothing is as as it appears or sounds superficially. For instance, they are warned against being judgmental. Aren't we often guilty of judging others for the impromptu decisions they made thinking we could have done better?

In Either Peace or War, Seargent Graydon employs a stern, solemn tone, which may sound unpleasant until one begins to understand that the things he is describing can be comprehended by none other than himself. His deployment was a journey filled with many actors, but each had their own experience and distinct tales. Without overemphasizing this truth, he proves that every soldier’s story is different. Eventually, I came to appreciate that the thrills and horrors of war can only be understood by those who have been on the battlefield.

Every aspect of this remarkable book was excellent. I disliked nothing about it. First, Graydon does not shy away from speaking his mind. Consequently, the reader acquires some food for thought. You are not just a consumer of knowledge, but also an active participant in cogitating on issues like love for humanity and its consequences, death, and much more. Second, every moment is unique; night or day, there are no breaks, and no one can tell what could happen next.

After reading this book, you will not view things from the same perspective. For the absorbing narration, thought-provocative nature, and many other positive qualities, I rate the book four out of four stars. It is an action-packed book with lots of history that will keep you enlightened and informed, making you want to know more. Every ardent reader of books packed with adventure and action will cherish reading this book. It will appeal most to those who would like to look at the life of a soldier during deployment and beyond.

Either Peace or War
View: on Bookshelves
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

A book about the military is always intriguing. The fact that the book has lots of history makes it even more attractive. Thanks for the review.
Duwire Banda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duwire-banda.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Duwire Banda »

The review is well done and I am excited bout the "punchy opening" of the book. Great review.
Chrity Edwin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrity-edwin.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chrity Edwin »

The first line is interest stimulating I must say. I would want to read this book to find out why someone would miss war. Nice review.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I must admit that seeing the statement that someone misses war has me intrigued. I can't imagine that. The history in the book also appeals to me. Thank you for an excellent review!
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Zainab Wasif »

The first sentence piqued my curiosity for the book. The themes in the book seem equally appealing to me. I will try to get hold of this amazing book soon.
Luchris Curtis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-curtis.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1 by Tom Wick

Post by Luchris Curtis »

One thing I learned from this review is that it is necessary to not be judgemental. I love the author's perspective, and I will love to read this book. Thanks for your honest review.
Riya Sarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riya-sarkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Riya Sarkar »

The whole book sounds like a giant intriguing read filled with suspense and adventure. Also, which war is discussed in the book?
Wilkister Inzai Avagalwa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilkister-inzai-avagalwa.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Wilkister Inzai Avagalwa »

Why would someone miss war for anything? Either Peace or War by Graydon McWilliams sounds interesting, and I will add it to my to-read list. Congratulations on the BOTD.
Nerd_Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerd-chris.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Nerd_Chris »

It strange of the author in owning up by to missing war. The book has such a wide plot and will be captivating to readers. Nice review. Congrats on winning BOTD
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Chris Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nakazuka.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Chris Azuka »

Similarly, I found the book's introductory sentence intriguing and I believe it would apply to other readers. I believe all what you said in your review. Good review. Congratulations on winning BOTD.
yuri_08
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by yuri_08 »

It is rare to miss something chaotic which can make every potential reader curious about the book's contents. Your review was great and can make others know what perspective you got after reading it.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

I enjoyed reading this review, it is brilliant. The book sounds fascinating and mind blowing, although the review is not giving away any spoilers... Graydon misses war? I am sure he is not the only one. I wonder what kind of experiences he had while being a soldier.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

A book that started with a love for war seems strange. I will read "Either Peace or War" by Graydon McWilliams to know why the author has a love for chaos. Interesting adventure and action packed book.
Mutuma Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutuma-clare.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Mutuma Clare »

Sounds like an amazing book. And being from East Africa,"huezielewa" captured my attention. This is a must read for me. Congratulations on BOTD!

Return to “Historical Fiction”