Review of Of All Faiths & None

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Review of Of All Faiths & None

Post by Darlings O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Of All Faiths & None" by Andrew Tweeddale.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale is a book set between 1910 and 1917. The book captures both old and young males giving up their life on war fronts. This book mostly revolves around the lives of the Drewes, the Lutyens, and the others that complement their lives.
With Belgium and France faced with War against Germany, the United Kingdom had to step in with 'war men' to help their friend countries.

Adrian Drewe has always believed that as the first son, his life should be all about pleasing and making his family proud. He led his life for his father. Unlike Adrian, Kit is unwilling and considered a weakling for refusing to join in fighting the war. Adrian continued to do what was considered right by society. Kit fights his battle to prove that he is not a weakling. Would Adrian's life of service pay off at last? Would Kit eventually yield to the heavy push from other people?

This book is beautiful. The plot is just close to perfect. I have my reservation for not tagging it a perfect. I love the story. I find it difficult to accept that this narrative is fictional; this is because of how real every event in the book is. The descriptions in this book are wonderful; the author captured the settings explicitly well. I like that. I won't say I got a lot of enlightenment from this book. However, I learnt a little about the wars. I felt what it means for a country to be saddled with war. Maybe I would say I got a taste of life in the early 1900s. I got this taste because it felt like I was in the book. The story was everything real. I love the characters in this book; they were all interesting and made this book even more fascinating. My favourite was Kit; I love how he took life as it came, and didn't allow anyone to override him, not even Sir Julius. The predominant themes in this book are love and war. Contradicting? Yes, but the book still played out well. The author did an amazing job. I would definitely have a second and even third read. Most importantly, I love how detailed this book was.

I believe the only thing I didn't like was the fact that the book was a tragedy. It made me cry a lot. I believe in happy endings, and so the tragic moments made me really sad. I didn't like that Rose went out of the picture. I felt bad for Adrian. He didn't deserve that. This book was well written and edited; I didn't spot any errors while I read this book. Therefore, it was professionally edited.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I gave this book this rating because it deserves nothing less. I enjoyed every aspect of this book. I had fun reading it as well, and because my negative aspect above does not affect my liking for this book. I recommend this book to lovers of historical books and everyone who believes in love.

Of All Faiths & None
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Opara Jerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opara-jerry.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Opara Jerry »

This is going into my reading list. I love reading about the old days of war and how things worked back then. This book will keep me busy for a while. Glad I read your review.
Luchris Curtis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-curtis.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1 by Tom Wick

Post by Luchris Curtis »

The book seems to revolve around the war between nations and the ordeals of two brothers. Adrian and Kit have unique personalities, and I will love to know if they accomplished their desires in the end. Thanks for your honest review.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I am in the middle of the book and I would say, I love it. All the scenarios feel real. Sometimes I forgot that it is a work of fiction. I have come to search for Castle Drogo because of this book, and wow, the castle looks perfect. I feel pity for Rose because he was trapped in fake love with Peter. Kit entered the regiment to prove that he was not a coward. I admit that the characters are well-developed! I like Sir Julius, Emily, Frances, Celia, Adrian, Basil, and some extras. It's almost perfect. I love this book.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Hawah issah voya
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hawah-issah-voya.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Hawah issah voya »

Am about to finish reading my copy. ..its really nice book. Thank you for the great review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”