Review of Pilot Who Knows the Waters

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Pilot Who Knows the Waters

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pilot Who Knows the Waters" by N.L. Holmes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are many mysteries hidden from us mortals, secrets we might never unravel, not because we don’t want to, but because we don’t even understand how or why they happened. But, there is someone somewhere, the Hidden One, who we can’t see but who sees everything. He reveals what he feels we should know the most to satisfy our curiosity or to keep us safe from danger.

Pilot Who Knows the Waters by N.L. Holmes is a story about power, position, trust, betrayal, family, friendship, and victory. Lord Hani, the central character in this book, is sent by the young queen of the Black Lands to the King of Kheta Land to deliver her wish of marrying one of his sons to the great king. As difficult and life-threatening as this task is, Lord Hani has to deliver the message of Her Majesty. But most of the high political class in the Black Lands are opposed to this mission. The great King of Kheta desires this marriage to take place with the hope that his son will become the ruler of a great kingdom he can indirectly rule. How did Lord Hani's journey go? What did the opposing political class do to fight against this mission? Did the king achieve his motive? What became of the young queen? Find out in this book about the play of power and the answers to these questions.

I enjoyed reading this book and liked the pace at which the author told the story. The plot of the book was well-thought-out and developed. From the first chapter to the eighteenth chapter, there is no dull moment or page that can be hastily read. I like how the author balanced politics, power, grief, betrayal, relationships, and family well in this story. Although the book has a lot of characters owing to its plot, this didn’t bore me.

I like how the author tells the story of Lord Hani. He was connected to every other character in the book, and I also related to him while reading this book. At a point, I feared for his safety and prayed he survived. Lord Hani’s relationship with his father, son-in-law, extended family, and others is something to learn from. He used distinct lines that were very touching and impactful for me. I felt it when he said, "Life is too short not to forgive." People do different things to get what they want, either good or bad, without considering its effect on those around them—all for power. I had a great time reading this book and especially liked the ending.

I disliked nothing about this book. I learned about the importance of family and how parents' actions during childhood can affect the relationship between children and their parents in old age. The author created a lot of suspense and questions in the book, and I liked how he connected all the dots without moving away from the book’s plot.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is well deserving of it. The story flowed well from the beginning to the end. The book was written in simple terms and professionally edited as I found an error in it. I disliked nothing about the book, so there is no reason for me not to give it the perfect rating it deserves.

I recommend this book to adults and young adults who enjoy reading historical fiction, adventures, and suspense-packed books. Readers of well-written and interesting books won’t be disappointed after reading this book.

Pilot Who Knows the Waters
View: on Bookshelves
Jouty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jouty.html
Latest Review: Pulse: Book One by B.A. Bellec

Post by Jouty »

Amazing review, if you disliked nothing in the book, and recommend it for young adults then the book is a must read for me. Thank you.
M debbie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by M debbie »

Historical fiction are not always my cup of tea, I will consider this book next time though. Great review.
Geofrey Masiga
Currently Reading: Three paths to autonomy and self -Actualisation
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Geofrey Masiga »

I rate the book 4 out of 4 and the book is an interesting one mostly to children. The author creates a lot of suspense and questions in this book making it so lovable to a continuous reading. Thank you for the review.
Ebele Ekelobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

I'm a big fan of historical fiction, so I bet I'll enjoy this book. Great review.
Chiamaka Ogadimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-ogadimma.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chiamaka Ogadimma »

Judging by your review that it is suspense-packed makes me want to read it. Great review by the way. Well done
Do more, talk less. Never get mad at another man's success.
Okoye Chinonso+
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

The cover of the book was the first thing that caught my attention; it gives Lion King vibe. The review is topnotch, I like how you were able to review the book in the most engaging manner.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

This is a great review, throwing readers to suspense " how, what,when,why". I love how the author was able to work through the fascinating plot and came out with this intriguing story.
Christabel Benson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-benson.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Christabel Benson »

How you wrote your review makes me want to read this interesting book, nice review.
Christabel Benson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-benson.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Christabel Benson »

How you wrote your review makes me want to read this interesting book, nice review.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

This is an intriguing story about power and immortality. I would love to know how Lord Hani’s journey will go. Thanks for the interesting review.
Caroline Elizabeth 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-elizabeth-1.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Caroline Elizabeth 1 »

The story sounds captivating but I'm curious on how the queen intends to marry off her sons to the great kings, I mean these are men not girls that tend to carry out every instruction even if it's not in their best interest.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

This is a captivating story. I love the narrative of the book. I think I will give this book a try because your review has piqued my interest in reading the book. Great review.
Daniel Banguwiha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Daniel Banguwiha »

The cover of the book was the first thing that caught my attention; it gives Lion King vibe. The review is topnotch, I like how you were able to review the book in the most engaging manner.
Hannah Mae Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

This sounds like an interesting story. And the fact that this book received a complete rating from you, I think this is worth the read. Thank you for your informative review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”