Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sdeerfield82
Favorite Author: Chris Bojhalian
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: The Queen of the Night
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdeerfield82.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall

Post by sdeerfield82 »

The cover and many reviews of this book tout it as the next "To Kill a Mockingbird" or "The Help". Well, its neither of those things. Maybe I'm being unfair because, if I'm being honest, no book will ever compare to "To Kill a Mockingbird" for me. But I simply can't put Susan Crandall on the same pedestal as Harper Lee (let's hope she doesn't disappoint when we get a chance to read 'Go Set a Watchman").

That is, however, not to say that I didn't like the book. In fact, by the end, I had fallen in love with the main characters, Starla and Eula. I just didn't start out loving them. I had to build up to it and slowly.

As you may have guessed, "Whistling Past the Graveyard" is set in the deep South in the 1960's, on the cusp of the Civil Rights movement. Starla is escaping (running away) from the unforgiving grandmother who is responsible for her and Eula is just too God-fearing not to pick her up and offer assistance - even if the differences in their skin color is going to raise a lot of eyebrows and cause a bit of a stir.

In many places the dialogue is too colloquial and too obvious to feel like Susan Crandall has really spent any time in the South. (I know, I've lived here my whole life.) But in the end, I can't deny that the story is touching and the characters make you want to fight for them. My heart broke when Starla's heart was broken and I was just as scared as Eula when Crandall described the terror in her eyes. I may not have liked the writing style but I couldn't deny the story. In truth, I've already recommended this book more than once and will probably read it again myself on a rainy day when all of my other "to read" books are still on hold at the library.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Hcollins1221
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hcollins1221.html

Post by Hcollins1221 »

I just finished this book yesterday. I agree that the writing was much too colloquial. While I loved Starla, I think the novel was hard to get invested in the beginning. I also strongly disliked Eula at first. I thought that her actions made it hard for the reader to like her, until later in the novel.
Jessicapape
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicapape.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Jessicapape »

This story is written back in the olden days when racism was still very hardcore and affected many people. The feeling of the story is one that will keep you questioning and wondering what the outcome will be. Without giving to much away as a spoiler the story line is slow at building and than it raises fast and knocks you back down, than rises back up again. There are a few tense points! But I feel like the writer did a great job of keeping them at the right place to grab your attention. I'm glad that Starla took us on this journey in the book, and while she had to go through some devasting things in her life, it will not only remind you about the history we have gone though it will likely connect your own life with this story.

It's a great read, I would give it a 3 out of 4, only because some of the slower parts are a little boring. But over all it really is a GREAT story!
Samyann
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Samyann »

A character driven novel, Whistling Past the Graveyard is written by Susan Crandall, narrated by Amy Ruminate, 11.5 hours of listening in unabridged audiobook format. Released in 2013 by Dreamscape Media.

A coming of age tale based in 1963 rural Mississippi. The violence of racism is a main plot point; blacks and whites fear and hate each other. This is an era of segregation - in schools, grocery stores, water fountains, etc. A time of lynchings, KKK fears, burning of black churches. In this vitriolic setting is Starla, a 9 year old white girl who runs away from an unhappy life with her grandmother. Starla is picked up, rescued, on a country road by Eula, a black woman with a white baby.

Get used to Starla being stubborn, selfish, disobedient, and thoughtless. Starla is child with a personality that makes her an unlikeable protagonist. The author clearly intends for her to be a sympathetic character, but has created a self-absorbed, obnoxious brat instead. Confronted with situations that provide opportunity, Starla always picks the wrong road - trouble finds her. Starla's redeeming factor is an obsessive need to reach her mother in Nashville, naively believing that the woman who abandoned her as an infant will reunite with her father and they’ll all live happily-ever-after.

The author shines in conveying the cultural flavor of the time, both with regard to racism and local colloquy. The book is riddled with sage wisdom. A bit preachy at times with ‘Thank-you baby Jesus.’ sprinkled about a few too many times for my taste. In my opinion, the behavior of the lead character is over-the-top and unrealistic. But that’s just me, you may find it peachy.

Narration is excellent. Timing, accents, inflections, etc., perfect. A sign of a good author is one that can evoke emotion from the reader. Well, Susan Crandall succeeded with this reader. I couldn’t stand the lead character. Ergo, it’s a good book. Convoluted, huh. But, there it is.

Return to “Historical Fiction”