Review of Sh*t Happens

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Review of Sh*t Happens

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Historical fiction has a soft spot in my heart. I am particularly interested in this period described in the book so I am willing to give this book a try.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Lunar gate
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunar-gate.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Lunar gate »

Great review by the way ! Gavin L James's novel 'Sh*t Happens' takes place during the Vietnam War in 1969, offering a glimpse into the societal changes of the era through the eyes of characters from the United States and Vietnam. The book covers themes such as anti-war movements, the experiences of Amerasians, and the inner turmoil faced by veterans. James intricately weaves these storylines together to paint a vivid picture of the political and social landscapes of the time, captivating readers with its compelling and reflective approach.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Today's book explores actions and their consequences through the lives of unique characters in unique situations. Congratulations to the author on being BOTD.
Fatima Elzeiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Fatima Elzeiny »

The review of "Sh*t Happens" by Gavin L. James on OnlineBookClub.org paints a vivid picture of the intricate storyline and complex characters within the book. The reviewer skillfully captures the essence of the novel, describing how it delves into the lives of individuals from different societal layers and countries during the tumultuous times of the Vietnam War era.

One of the standout aspects highlighted in the review is the author's ability to weave together various societal and political issues of the time seamlessly into the narrative. The reviewer praises the book for its insightful portrayal of historical events, such as the anti-war protests and the struggles of Vietnam War veterans, while also addressing sensitive topics like the destinies of Amerasians and the complexities of interracial relationships during that period
Furthermore, the review commends the author's skill in character development, noting the depth and authenticity of each character's journey throughout the story. From Rachel's rebellious spirit to Steve's experiences as a soldier in Vietnam, the characters come to life on the page, drawing readers into their world and evoking empathy and understanding.

The reviewer also appreciates the author's narrative style, describing it as well-structured and clear, making the lengthy novel easy to follow despite its complexity. Additionally, they commend the author's use of dry humor, which adds depth and wit to the storytelling, further engaging the reader.

However, the review also acknowledges a drawback: the abrupt and unsatisfactory ending. While the majority of the book is praised for its excellence, the reviewer expresses disappointment with the conclusion, feeling that it left too many questions unanswered and lacked closure. Despite this, the overall reading experience is deemed highly enjoyable and impactful.
In conclusion, the review offers a balanced and insightful analysis of "Sh*t Happens" by Gavin L. James, highlighting its strengths in storytelling, character development, and historical accuracy, while also acknowledging its shortcomings. It encourages readers who are interested in historical fiction, societal and political themes, or those who lived through the Vietnam War era to pick up the book, despite the caution that it may not be suitable for sensitive readers due to its profanity and violent scenes.
Joy Wangari 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-wangari-2.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Joy Wangari 2 »

The plot of the book is quite intriguing and as one reads the title makes sense since there is a sense of incomi8ng doom but it leavers one on a cliffhanger and yearning to know what will happen next. It is a great fictional book and from the timelines,it is able to show vividly how certain norms and societal values at the time. It was the time of the war and in every war there is also resistance and this is one of the main themes of the book. The author also captivates your attention in the prologue and entices you to read the book.I really want to know the remaining details to know how further the title of the book can manifest.
Jatto Onimisi
Currently Reading: Shitolian
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jatto-onimisi.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Jatto Onimisi »

The title of the story appears to match the description in this review. I find stories with multiple main characters living their separate lives in a world that eventually connects them somewhat difficult to follow, but generally interesting. The Vietnam War background of this book also makes me interested in reading it.
Joy Wangari 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-wangari-2.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Joy Wangari 2 »

The plot of the book is quite intriguing and as one reads the title makes sense since there is a sense of incoming doom but it leaves one on a cliffhanger and yearning to know what will happen next. It is a great fictional book and from the timelines, it can show vividly how certain norms and societal values at the time. It was the time of the war and in every war there is also resistance and this is one of the main themes of the book. The author also captivates your attention in the prologue and entices you to read the book. I want to know the remaining details to know how further the title of the book can manifest.
Shanè
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shanè »

"Sh*t Happens" by Gavin L. James

Rating: ★★★★☆ (4/5)

As I sit here reflecting on the pages of "Sh*t Happens" by Gavin L. James, I can't help but feel a sense of awe and appreciation for the raw honesty and unfiltered storytelling that unfolded within its covers. This book is a poignant reminder that life is a chaotic blend of triumphs, failures, and the unexpected, and Gavin L. James captures this essence with remarkable clarity.

From the very first page, James grabs hold of your emotions and takes you on a rollercoaster journey through his own personal experiences. It's a memoir that resonates deeply, as the author fearlessly bares his soul and shares the most vulnerable parts of his life. From heartbreak and loss to triumph and self-discovery, "Sh*t Happens" encapsulates the myriad of emotions we all encounter in our own unique paths.

What sets this book apart is James' distinctive voice. His writing style is refreshingly conversational and effortlessly witty, making it easy to connect with his story on a personal level. It's as if he's sitting right beside you, recounting his tales over a cup of coffee, complete with colorful language and genuine humor. The author's ability to find laughter even in the darkest moments is a testament to his resilience and serves as a powerful reminder that we, too, can find strength in adversity.

The narrative structure of "Sh*t Happens" is both engaging and fluid. James seamlessly weaves together different chapters of his life, allowing the reader to witness the growth and transformation he undergoes over time. From his tumultuous relationships to the pursuit of his dreams, each chapter unfolds like a puzzle piece, gradually revealing a bigger picture of resilience, determination, and personal growth.

One aspect that particularly stood out to me was James' candid portrayal of his flaws and mistakes. He doesn't shy away from his own shortcomings, and instead, uses them as opportunities for growth and self-reflection. This level of introspection adds depth to the narrative and makes the author's journey all the more relatable. It serves as a gentle reminder that life's hurdles can be stepping stones to personal evolution.

If there's one small critique I have, it's that at times the pacing feels a bit uneven. Some sections of the book are filled with heart-pounding intensity, while others may seem slightly slower in comparison. However, this does not detract from the overall impact of the story. In fact, these slower moments provide an opportunity to catch your breath and reflect on the experiences shared.

In conclusion, "Sh*t Happens" by Gavin L. James is a captivating memoir that serves as a testament to the resilience of the human spirit. It's a reminder that life's challenges, no matter how difficult, can be overcome with perseverance and a dash of humor. James' authentic and relatable storytelling will leave you both entertained and inspired, making this book a worthwhile addition to any reader's collection.

So, grab a copy, buckle up, and embark on this remarkable journey with Gavin L. James. You won't regret it.
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

This seems like a great book packed with historical fiction and drama. I love that the nuances of the 70s are preserved in the book, it's nice to learn about how people were from a different era.
I'm interested in reading about both Rachel's and Steven's and how the war impacted both of them since they were from different walks of life. It's a shame the book's ending was anticlimactic for the reviewer. I would like to read it and see if it's the same for me too
I'm here for a good time, not a long time. Yolo!
mytkreadingreview
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mytkreadingreview.html
Latest Review: Scam Story by Gini Graham Scott
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mytkreadingreview »

Here Emily is trying her best to secure and to protect her daughter's future and plan's. She saw Rachel doing unnecessary mistake of participating in the war protest without informing her, Rachel met Jenny and the girls relationship developed and Emily think Jenny a dope smoking hippie will be a bad news to her daughter's future unless she interfere before it's too late
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 86188
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1376%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

an outrageous informative book bursting with enough mind blowing trivia to make your head spin .i will recommend it if you want to know your sh*t

Return to “Historical Fiction”