Review of Sh*t Happens

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Precious Anavheoba
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Bright Expanse
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Re: Review of Sh*t Happens

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

The story looks promising. I really wanted to know how Rachel's story intertwined with Spanner and Jenny. The characters and plot look thick. They relate to real life challenges.
fumbani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by fumbani »

"Sh*t Happens" by Gavin L James receives a glowing review from Kirsi Cultrera, an official reviewer representative on OnlineBookClub.org. The historical fiction novel, set during the Vietnam War era, skillfully weaves together the lives of characters from different societal layers in two countries. Cultrera praises the author's insightful storytelling, clear narration, and ability to handle a complex narrative with numerous characters. The book, spanning almost 500 pages, maintains a captivating flow without causing confusion.

The reviewer appreciates the inclusion of 1970s stereotypes and commends the author's dry humor. However, the only flaw highlighted is the abrupt and disappointing ending, leaving unanswered questions. Despite deducting one star for this drawback, the overall experience is described as excellent. The book is recommended for readers interested in historical fiction, political and societal themes, especially those with a connection to the Vietnam War era. Notably, Cultrera expresses a willingness to adjust the rating if a sequel to the book is discovered in the future.
Black Indigo
Currently Reading: Relieved
Bookshelf Size: 607
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Black Indigo »

The book seems to have good character development and storyline, and I am sure it is a worthwhile read with over 500 pages. Thank you for the review.
Dan Polumbric
Currently Reading: The Return of the Knights
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-polumbric.html
Latest Review: The Vine by Adria L. Dunn

Post by Dan Polumbric »

This book focuses on fate and exploration of love amidst conflict and the consequences of societal upheaval during the Vietnam war. The story unfolds through the storylines of 3 characters and occasionally, their friends and family POV chapters.
Thank you for a thoughtful review and for avoiding spoilers of the ending.
Sbitan Mohammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbitan-mohammad.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Sbitan Mohammad »

This sounds like a quite an interesting book. I look forward to learning about Rachel's involvement in the protests and whether Tanner ends up with Lien. Beautiful review.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: I Have Proof of a Higher Power by Ioan Dirina

Post by Harty Muli »

I am impressed that this story is set during the Vietnam war and during the hippie movement. I am intrigued by both Rachel's and Steve Tanner's story thread. Thanks for the review.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3049
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Duck Blinds I Have Known by Donny McElvoy

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I understand how disappointing when one's expectations for an ending are not met, but the book sounds gripping, as it is hard to find a relatively lengthy book that one enjoys. Historical fiction is my cup of tea, and the themes discussed are thought-provoking and relevant. I cannot wait to see the consequences of using money to solve everything and the issue of justice as well. Many thanks for the review.
:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ajain12
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajain12.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Ajain12 »

"Sh*t Happens" by Gavin L James offers a vivid portrayal of the Vietnam War era with insightful storytelling and engaging characters. Despite a disappointing ending, it's a compelling read for historical fiction enthusiasts.
Alexander Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-victoria.html
Latest Review: Affirm The Word by J. Marie Jones

Post by Alexander Victoria »

Spanner's journey from a local farm boy to a soldier in Vietnam unfolds alongside Rachel's rebellious actions, revealing the complex web of fate and the resilience of the human spirit in the face of adversity.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: “TREMAINE” by James Harold Kelly
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 11%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

Sometimes we term life unfair but everyone has bad days. As already said "dealt a bad hand of cards." I would love to know what these two stories have to do with each other and how Rachel's story goes. This seems to be an interesting book especially based on the title. I'm certain many others will enjoy it.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Phillip Olutosin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phillip-olutosin.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Phillip Olutosin »

Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James is a historical, war novel with a touch of romance. It depicts the things faces by different lives in different places. It is sure to resonate among lovers of historical and war novels. Congratulations on BOTD.
Jyotii Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyotii-reviewer.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Jyotii Reviewer »

A war in any country drastically effects the life of people living in that country as well as that of the neighbouring countries. Historical fiction is not my cup of tea. But the review has very clearly put forward the struggle of the characters in the story amidst the war. The changes in society ,even at the basic level like in a family, is very well described in the review.
davidtech1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-davidtech1997.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by davidtech1997 »

Historical fiction is'nt my thing but after reading this book it changed my perspective alot.
grace ruhara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-ruhara.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by grace ruhara »

The books title itself is very captivating and interesting. This is definitely a book I'd want to read. I want to find out what this sh*t is and who it is happening to.
Okocha Victor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Okocha Victor »

Sh*t Happens by Gavin L. James looks to be a book about the cards we are dealt in life. Thank you for your honest review. Congratulations on BOTD!

Return to “Historical Fiction”