Review of Sh*t Happens

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Review of Sh*t Happens

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

What a thoughtful, well-written book review! I enjoy historical fiction with compelling plot lines and well-developed characters that intertwine. However, I am turned off by abrupt endings filled with unanswered questions. I will pass on this one.
Sonia_Gonzalez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

Not content with what is happening in Vietnam, Rachen Hanson decided to participate in the anti-war protests without telling her parents. There she meets Jenny, and soon the two become friends. But Rachel's mother does not like it. Steve is a farm boy who has been drafted. Spanner, his friend, is suddenly sent to Vietnam, where he falls in love with a local girl who has been promised to another man. What has destiny planned for them?
Rahul Singh 29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-singh-29.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Rahul Singh 29 »

Thank you for sharing your honest and insightful thoughts. Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James is a fascinating and engaging historical fiction book that explores the lives and choices of different characters during the Vietnam War era. The author does a great job of portraying the complex and diverse perspectives of the people involved in the war, as well as the social and political issues of the time. Congrats to the author, #BOTD!
Life is a play where we are the actors and the audience, We laugh and cry, love and hate, create and destroy,
We seek to know ourselves and others, to belong and to be free, We accept what we can and change what we must.
Neha Panikar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-panikar.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Neha Panikar »

Well-detailed review! The plot seems interesting. I like stories of common people in the backdrop of major historical events, in this case its the Vietnam War. I look forward to reading this book, despite the disappointing ending, that you encountered. Thankyou!!
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Francis Kapola »

Wow, "Sh*t Happens" seems like a riveting journey through the complexities of the Vietnam War era, blending personal struggles with larger societal issues seamlessly. It's intriguing to see how characters from different backgrounds navigate through such turbulent times.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

"Sh*t Happens" by Gavin L James features the talked of friendship and love amidst the Vietnam war. The characters of Steve Tanner and Rachel Hanson were featured here. Interesting read.
Patel Khushi Manishbhai
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Markus Zusak
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: To the Lighthouse
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patel-khushi-manishbhai.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke
fav_author_id: 2540

Post by Patel Khushi Manishbhai »

War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.

George Orwell, 1984

The ability to weave fiction and fact in a complicated storyline without any seeming repetitive, redundant or confusing is certainly a positive trait. My curiosity surrounding the Vietnam war is enough to make me read the book. Congratulations on the BOTD.
Ni_weh_sesh62
Rezaul Hasan
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rezaul-hasan.html
Latest Review: Trinities to Enneagrams, 2nd Edition by Allen David Young

Post by Rezaul Hasan »

Gavin L. James's Sh*t Happens explores the lives of characters from two distinct social strata in two nations. Anyone who enjoys historical literature or societal and political issues will find Gavin L. James' Sh*t Happens to be appealing. Because it has violent violence and profanity, this book is not appropriate for young readers or readers who are easily offended. I would give this book a four-star rating.
MMcB
Favorite Book: Island of Missing Trees
Currently Reading: The Elephant(s) in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmcb.html
Latest Review: Ungraduated by Ken Hannaman
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by MMcB »

"Sh*t Happens" by Gavin L James Starts in 1969 in the United States of America. We meet Rachael, her hippy friend and her mother. We meet Spanner who goes to Viet Nam and he gets romantically entangled with a Vietnamese lady. The story unfolds well and with humor even though the political and societal changes are apparent and a labrinth to navigate. The reviewer was disappointed in the ending of the story but hopes for a sequel. The reading experience was good but the ending was a disappointment.
If you're going through hell, keep going.
~ Sir Winston Churchill
Esther Deekor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-deekor.html
Latest Review: Risky Business In Rising China by Mark Atkeson

Post by Esther Deekor »

I just finished reading a book of this sort, but I am more concerned about what Emily is going to do about Rachel's friend, Jenny. This historical fiction sounds like an amazing depiction of the Vietnam war era. Congratulations on BOTD!
Yahya Amir Anwer
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 6
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Yahya Amir Anwer »

This has the capacity to maximize mental stimulation. But it's unfortunate that everything ended so suddenly. You kept us in the dark, and I'm speculating as to how Rachels enters the frame. Perhaps she develops feelings for Spanner or something. Your review was quite thorough, and because of the information you omitted, I now intend to read this book. Fantastic work.
Lizz Kamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lizz Kamau »

The title of the book is very catchy. Makes one want to read it.Actions have consequences, the path that ones chooses leads them to a certain direction. The girls chose their paths. However, the end makes me think there will be a sequel. A good read. I rate 3
Hy Be
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 246
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hy-be.html
Latest Review: Your Father Has Something to Tell You by Dave Riese

Post by Hy Be »

Nice review. "Sh*t Happens" by Gavin L James portrays the consequences one face of their own actions . The author creatively weaved history , love and patriotism themes in this book.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

"Sh*t Happens" by Gavin L James is a historical fiction novel set in 1969, exploring the lives of characters from different societal layers in the US and Vietnam during the Vietnam War. The book skillfully weaves complex political and societal issues into a captivating narrative, showcasing the struggles and consequences of characters' choices.
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

Sh*t Happens seems like a great novel about the Vietnam war. The book has a great summary and storyline. I'm curious about what will happen to the characters and how they're connected. This book is perfect for people who like historical fiction. Congratulations on making book of the day!

Return to “Historical Fiction”