Review of Sh*t Happens

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MAHMOUD GADELRAB
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Review of Sh*t Happens

Post by MAHMOUD GADELRAB »

This book speaks about the normal situation of life.
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: The Tainted Jade by Richard Blaine

Post by Veronica Hunter »

Gavin L James' 'Sh*t Happens' is a masterful portrayal of the complexities of the Vietnam War era. From the anti-war protests to the struggles of Amerasians, James skillfully weaves together the societal issues of the time into a captivating narrative.
Priyankan Nayak
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankan-nayak.html
Latest Review: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies by Johnny M. Sanchez

Post by Priyankan Nayak »

A review of the above-mentioned book by Krisi is wonderful and insightful. Best wishes on the BOTD. The narration is well-structured and the story is easy to follow. The plot follows the character's lives from different layers of society in 2 countries. It is of historical genre.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

I am most interested to read how Gavin concluded this book and whether the cliffhangers at the end are justified. Thank you for the wonderfully written review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Sheen Jenny
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Sheen Jenny »

This review captures the essence of "Sh*t Happens" by Gavin L James brilliantly. Your analysis of the characters' struggles and the intricate political and societal issues of the time resonates deeply with readers. The book's ability to navigate such complex themes within a historical context is truly commendable.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Chimba Mushili
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chimba Mushili »

The book seems interesting it's something I might consider reading. Despite been a fictions book I get to learn that every decision we make in life will come with consequences good or bad. We all come from different social statuses that in it self does not prevent one from bearing the consequences of their life's choices.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 644
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

Hi @ CHANTAL EWING, I just read your comments on the official review of "Sh*t Happens" and I agree that this is an excellent book. I liked it so much that I purchased the ebook copy since I want to read the entire book. Having been a teen in the late 60s I could relate to the possibility of being drafted and sent to Vietnam. The college protests and sit-ins are something I will never forget. I had friends that went to Vietnam and never returned and I went to college with Vietnam vets that had PTSD. I am so glad that my student deferment kept me in college and fortunately the draft ended during my sophomore year. @Mrlefty0706
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva

Post by Abiodunakinola »

This book expertly weaves the intricate threads of characters' lives during the Vietnam War era, exploring societal complexities and personal choices. The book provides a captivating glimpse into the political and societal landscape of the time, skillfully navigating through the challenges faced by characters from different walks of life. Nice review.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP

Post by mrlefty0706 »

Hi @Veronica Hunter, I just read your comments on the official review of "Sh*t Happens" and I agree that this is an excellent book. I liked it so much that I purchased the ebook copy since I want to read the entire book. Having been a teen in the late 60s I could relate to the possibility of being drafted and sent to Vietnam. The college protests and sit-ins are something I will never forget. I had friends that went to Vietnam and never returned and I went to college with Vietnam vets that had PTSD and did not receive the medical help that they needed. I am so glad that my student deferment kept me in college and fortunately the draft ended before I graduated from college. @Mrlefty0706
Ajiferuke Ajibola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiferuke-ajibola.html
Latest Review: The Prison of Power by G Michael Smith

Post by Ajiferuke Ajibola »

The topic of this book already alerted me as to what to expect. The story is well-developed and brilliant, just as the reviewer puts it. I hope there's a sequel so the story can have the appropriate closure. Congrats on BOTD. Nice review.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP

Post by mrlefty0706 »

Hi @Abiodunakinola, I just read your comments on the official review of "Sh*t Happens" and I agree that this is an excellent book. I liked it so much that I purchased the ebook copy since I want to read the entire book. Having been a teen in the late 60s I could relate to the possibility of being drafted and sent to Vietnam. The college protests and sit-ins are something I will never forget. I had friends that went to Vietnam and never returned and I went to college with Vietnam vets that had PTSD. I am so glad that my student deferment kept me in college and fortunately the draft ended before I graduated from college. I have to ask you a question since I do not understand your comments. Do you use these words to describe all of your reviews since they seem very generic and not very descriptive of the actual story? What are intricate threads of character lives? What were the societal complexities in this story? The purpose of comments on the official review is to prove you read the review and that your comments are meaningful. Please read other member comments and let me know if you agree. Youer comments should encourage others to read the book. @Mrlefty0706
Ajiferuke Ajibola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiferuke-ajibola.html
Latest Review: The Prison of Power by G Michael Smith

Post by Ajiferuke Ajibola »

The topic of this book already alerted me as to what to expect. The story is well-developed and brilliant, just as the reviewer puts it. I hope there's a sequel so the story can have the appropriate closure. Congrats on BOTD. Nice review.
EBERE WRITES COCEPT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-writes-cocept.html
Latest Review: Island Girl by Charles R Hinckley

Post by EBERE WRITES COCEPT »

Gavin L James' 'Sh*t Happens' is a poignant and thought-provoking novel that delves into the complexities of war and its impact on individuals. Through Rachel, Jenny, and Spanner's journeys, James offers a powerful exploration of the human experience during a turbulent period in history.
Chad Anthony
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chad-anthony.html
Latest Review: Delightful Hands by Andrew Pace

Post by Chad Anthony »

The reviewer's admiration for the author's ability to weave together a diverse cast of characters and navigate complex themes shines through. Their insightful commentary on the book's portrayal of 1970s stereotypes adds depth to the review. I'm eager to experience the author's storytelling prowess firsthand.
Omobolanle Savage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

The review beautifully captures the essence of the book's intricate plot and the complex characters' struggles. It's a compelling portrayal of societal issues during the Vietnam War era. I'm intrigued to dive into this captivating narrative.

Return to “Historical Fiction”