Review of Our Man from the Ukraine

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Review of Our Man from the Ukraine

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Our Man from the Ukraine" by Allan LeLoup.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our Man from the Ukraine by Allan Leloup is a historical and political fiction book. The book's protagonist, Harry Zakal, born in 1897, is a Ukrainian who left Ukraine because of famine to seek a better life. He emigrated to the United States and then to Canada. While in Canada, he worked at the Fargey Ferguson plant, where he was met by two men who worked for the RCMP and the FBI. He had become a person of interest to the government in the cold war against communism because of his innocent pamphlet. He was given some tasks to complete before he could become free again.

This was an interesting read. I loved that, despite the book being fictional, it was very close to reality. All the events felt like something that must have happened to people after the Second World War. I loved the characters, especially Harry and his son Ray. They were well-developed. I also liked the lesson about penitence in the book; it made me pause to reflect on my life for a while. There was also a lesson on acceptance in the book. I thought this was important because the world needs to learn to accept people more irrespective of race and religion. The book's title was catchy and aligned well with the story; he really was everyone’s man.

I loved reading the stories. However, I got overwhelmed at the point when Ray was being interviewed for his research paper. I wished that it was shortened because I really got overwhelmed reading that chapter. I was really enjoying my reading and was reading fast till I got there. It is a political story, and the research was politics-related, so the author thought it necessary to dedicate that page to politics. It was overwhelming but also had relevance because a lot of politics that had affected the people were explained.

For a fictional book like this one that was heavy on politics, history, and also good morals as a human, that I enjoyed reading and learned a lot from, I would give it a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. The book was professionally edited. I only found a few errors. I could not find any reason to deduct a star from a book that I was interested in from the title till the end.

I would recommend this book to everyone who loves historical books. There are a lot of historical events that will appeal to them. This book will also appeal to people who have an interest in politics. They will find the book interesting and love Ray and his research paper. Harry’s story was inspiring and had a lot of moral lessons and general religious morals, so I would recommend it to anyone interested in a book that teaches morals.

Our Man from the Ukraine
View: on Bookshelves
Arizonajack81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arizonajack81.html
Latest Review: Prosperity Gospel by Roger Smalling

Post by Arizonajack81 »

Makes we want to take a look at it...and maybe read it. I like historical fiction. :D

Jack in Arizona
Emmy page
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmy-page.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Emmy page »

Bad situations impact people differently.Having the strength to pick up from a hard moment as famine, to travel distant lands in search of a better living, demonstrates the human resilience to rise against all odds.fictitious stories such as this are written to reflect true life experiences.How the main character evolves through this is something the writer must have put in a lot of effort to portray.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I don't have an interest in politics, which this book contains, but I found your review interesting. I read historical books sometimes so I might pick this one in the future.

Return to “Historical Fiction”