Review of The Attack on the Ferris wheel

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Review of The Attack on the Ferris wheel

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Attack on the Ferris wheel" by Michael Owino.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adhesively, the lives of various characters are joined by an event in The Attack on the Ferris wheel by Michael Owino. This historical fiction book is an exciting whirl, which begins at Brighton Pier in 1979. Janokovic and his gang (Matt, Eik, and little George) plan to rob the amusement park. In another scene, young Tom and his parents (Richard and Jeanett) are in a swimming pool before they head out to the amusement park. How do these characters affect each other’s lives? How does the robbery operation turn out?

A day later, Mayor Frank Gustavson meets up with the police chief, Vince Owen. The media is persistent, and everyone is seeking answers. Mayor Frank Gustavson is already in a bad place with the people, and a wrong approach toward the present issue could ruin him, as they know him for his outbursts when triggered by the media. The investigation continues strongly for a long time and involves new characters along the way. Read more in The Attack on the Ferris wheel by Michael Owino.

The Attack on the Ferris wheel comprises six parts, 16 chapters with subchapters, and 320 pages. The author has perfectly arranged the story with scenes of different narratives led by different characters. The characters have been creatively described, and fit properly into their time, which is between the 20th and 21st centuries. I loved the plot of this story. It drew me into the book more and more, as I wanted to know how it would all end. The Attack on the Ferris wheel is not professionally edited. There are some grammatical and punctuation errors, and although they are not so distracting, it would be nice for this book to go for another round of professional editing.

Apart from the presence of multiple errors, which include beginning sentences with a lowercase letter and giving plural nouns plural verbs, it is difficult to note the translation from one scene to another in the early parts of the book, like Chapter 1.

Conclusively, I rate The Attack on the Ferris wheel by Michael Owino three out of four stars. I enjoyed reading all the parts of this book and learning more about the characters. This book would have received four stars if it were not erroneous. The author has done a marvelous job with this book. I recommend The Attack on the Ferris wheel to fans of historical fiction and lovers of crime and thriller stories.

The Attack on the Ferris wheel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Azuka Jessica
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

I like that the author was honest with the review. Regardless, the book has a very interesting plot that promises so much excitement and adventure. In fact, I can feel the suspense from the review.
Excellent review.
Clare Jose
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

While the book seems well-written (except for the errors and formatting issues) it doesn't seem like something I ould enjoy reading. So I'll pass.
Thanks for the review!
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

I hope to see some elements of suspense in this novel, given the plot structuring of the story. I would like to find out the motivation behind the planned robbery on the amusement park and how things turn out between Janokovic and his gang and Tom and his parents. I wish the author addresses the grammatical errors highlighted in this review in a subsequent publication.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Why on Earth would someone want to rob an amusement park?...
I always enjoy reading about life in the 70s, though. Anyway, I hope the author considers your comments because a faulty edition can ruin the whole reading experience.
Good job!
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

It sounds like a complex book full of interesting characters. Too bad that it needs more editing. However, once that is done, I find it intriguing. Great review!
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Charles Jeremiah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-jeremiah.html
Latest Review: Now I See by Sandra Leon Gonzalez

Post by Charles Jeremiah »

The thing about numerous characters for me is being able to give them a distinct form my mind while reading. That's not so easy with numerous characters. Anyway, this story is unusual. It's not everyday we get to experience a gang robbing a park in the 20th century. Anyone would see it as lame and wicked to the children. This review is correctly written and looks to described the important info hat may be needed for motivation for a reader to read this book.
Hannah Mae Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

I'm not a fan of historical fiction books but the plot of this sounds interesting. A rob in an amusement park is new for me. Thanks for the review.
Wren Michaels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wren-michaels.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Wren Michaels »

I agree with the other comments on this review. Definitely an interesting concept. Thank you for your detailed review
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I've never heard of robbing an amusement park! I'd be interested in reading a creative plot and getting to know Janokovic and his group of friends who try to pull off this scheme. I hope the author considers another round of editing to improve the text. Great review!
Angela Lammott
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-lammott.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Angela Lammott »

I am curious about what history is incorporated into this story. Did robbery really take place at an amusement park? I grew up in the 70s so I am looking forward to references to this time period when I read this book. I so appreciate that it has been made free for us today. Congrats on the Book of the Day!
Psalm Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psalm-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Psalm Okoroafo »

What a bold thing to do - rob an amusement park. Your review is smooth to read, no bumps. I'd really love to get a hold of this book once it's done with the second round of editing.
Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egenti-ignatius-chimaobi.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi »

You mentioned that the book had some errors that could be corrected. I hope the author does this before the book is published. Good job on your review and I look forward to reading the book.
Charles Babbage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-babbage.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Charles Babbage »

This book seems like one that would be very interesting. A plan to rub an amusement park can go wrong and what happens then? It would be nice.
Jerry Spencer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-spencer.html
Latest Review: I Said, "I Am A Nun" by June A Ramsay

Post by Jerry Spencer »

A robbery that looks so harmless ending the lives of many. I must say, I wonder if I'd be able to keep up with the numerous characters. The plot seems nice but I'd probably get this book after its second round of editing.

Return to “Historical Fiction”