Review of On the Precipice of the Labyrinth

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Re: Review of On the Precipice of the Labyrinth

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

Williams's experiences in Spain seem quite fascinating. I am most excited about the romance aspect of the book and look forward to reading. Congrats on BOTD.
Fawmi FJumana
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

This one looks very interesting and immersive. Spanish civil war is a period I have read very less about. And the experiences of William will surely make me learn a lot about Spanish culture and history it seems. I would love to take a look at this one.
Last edited by Fawmi FJumana on 25 Mar 2023, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
Emmanuela Amasiobi
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuela-amasiobi.html
Latest Review: The Poison Of Perfection by Angela Wadley

Post by Emmanuela Amasiobi »

A beautiful story of a young man as he travels through Spain during the civil war. In this novel,we learn about the Spanish culture,history and lifestyle.
Ogidor Chinasa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogidor-chinasa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ogidor Chinasa »

I must say that this book is an interesting one and the review you gave is awesome. Learning Spanish culture is worth reading. I can't wait to get started with this book.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

This sounds like an interesting historical fiction novel about an event that Americans don’t often hear much about. I certainly don’t remember learning a lot about the Spanish Civil War in school, so if this book is accurate historically, it will make for an entertaining way to learn about that time period. Seeing it through an American tourist’s eyes makes it even more compelling, seeing the event from the outside looking in. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I’m looking forward to digging into this novel to find out why William was so fascinated with Spain despite the upheaval in the country and how he survived the challenges brought by the civil war and the various relationships he formed as he performed his many roles a new country.
Eriikeoluwa Nimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriikeoluwa-nimi.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by Eriikeoluwa Nimi »

This book isn't a bad read and I think it entails adventures too. I enjoyed every bit of the review. Thanks to the author for giving out free copies of the book. Congratulations on BOTD
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 814
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

This sounds like an adventurous but heart-rending read because of the civil war that took place at the time in Spain. But I'm sure people interested in Spanish history will love reading this book.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

A story about an adventurous American who rhrew caurion to the wind and followed his dream to travel to Spain during a tumultuous time sounds captivating. The writing seems to be very character-driven, and I think it will resonate with fans of historical fiction and those who like stories of adventure. Thanks for the detailed review.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 613
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 59%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

"On the Precipice of the Labyrinth" by Brian Snowden is story for teenagers and it is about a young man that travels in Spain during a civil war. The young man named William had learned Spanish from a Cuban neighbor, he loved the language and wanted to experience the Spanish culture first hand by traveling through Spain. The civil war created problems but William found nice people that helped him experience their culture. William stayed under the radar so the current regime and the revolutionaries did not think he was involved. I would love to follow in William's footsteps and experience the multi-cultures of Spain. I will add this book to my To-Read shelf.
Ma Leonarda Castañares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-leonarda-casta-ares.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Ma Leonarda Castañares »

I commend the author for his excellent narrative that makes the readers feel as if they are the ones traveling on Spain. I also commend his great description of people, places, culture, and history. I will definitely read this book to know if William managed to survive in the country he migrated to.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Nicholas Bush
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholas-bush.html

Post by Nicholas Bush »

I use to think I'm the only one that lives the Spanish language and culture. I'm as well dreaming if going to that control someday and for that reason, I would love to read this book to learn more about the Spanish culture. Congrats on BOTD.
Nicholas Bush
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholas-bush.html

Post by Nicholas Bush »

I use to think I'm the only one that lives the Spanish language and culture. I'm as well dreaming if going to that control someday and for that reason, I would love to read this book to learn more about the Spanish culture. Congrats on BOTD.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

Williams is a goal-getter and has so many interesting stories about him worth reading. Congratulations on botd!!!
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this seems like an interesting historical fiction story about a young man who's love of Spain and the Spanish culture lead him to traveling Spain during a civil war. It is interesting to see what he will experience in his adventure in war-torn Spain. It might be worth a second look. Well done.

Return to “Historical Fiction”