Review of The shot not heard around the world

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MMcB
Favorite Book: Island of Missing Trees
Currently Reading: The Elephant(s) in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmcb.html
Latest Review: Ungraduated by Ken Hannaman
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Re: Review of The shot not heard around the world

Post by MMcB »

An historical fiction book, "The shot not heard around the world" by Charlie Damitz, is not a long book yet it has not just one or two but three main characters. The plot revolves around these three characters rather than on the unfolding of the Revolutionary War. The author included information that helps the reader understand and really feel what life was like and how much work everyone had to do daily.
If you're going through hell, keep going.
~ Sir Winston Churchill
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I am fascinated by the dilemma of deciding whether to take or preserve life that the lead character faces. I am intrigued by how young Jeremy and the other boys prepared to participate in the war. I am interested in learning how Jeremy's decision would affect the outcome of the American Revolutionary War.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

The story was about young Jeremy at a time when boys partook in wars. Congratulations BOTD!
Glopz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Glopz »

War has never been a sight to behold, as it has produce more harm than good. The book "The Shot Not Heard Around the World" captures the opinion of both parties that is the agreed and disagreed fighters. I appreciate the writer uniqueness in writing the book however you have to take note of the fact that war doesn't solve every problem. The editing is professional, with a few error. Very well written and good. For those that like to know what war is like. I recommend this book
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

With an intriguing title and your fascinating review, I was excited to read the sample pages. I am not a fan of war stories; however, the central theme of this book was enticing. A soldier who becomes a healer: that is a story I wouldn't miss. The sample pages showed the young minuteman's conscience, appealing to his peaceful side to not harm or take another human's life; it was touching and depicted his vulnerability. Congratulations on the BOTD!
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Markus Tsammani
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markus-tsammani.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Bowling Ball Bombing by Kordel Lentine

Post by Markus Tsammani »

I enjoy reading historical fiction, particularly when it is well-written. One of them is this. I'm curious about Jeremy's age and whether he will be able to solve the problem.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 645
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 61%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“The Shot Not Heard Around the World” by Charlie Damitz is a story that takes place during the Revolutionary War. The main character is Jeremy a 14 year old boy and member of the Minutemen. Jeremy was very experienced hunting squirrels and rabbits but when it came to shooting another human, he could not pull the trigger. This started a chain of events that would change Jeremy’s life forever. The sample included so much attention to detail that I want to read the entire book. Jeremy is faced with shooting a Redcoat, does not pull the trigger and after struggling with his failure to fire all night realized that he was not a killer. If he had shot the Redcoat Scout, could he have been killing a father? He decided that he would devote his services to helping the wounded. The state of medical knowledge and application on a battlefield was primitive compared to modern times so in most cases wounded men died and could not be saved. Per the official review the three major characters are Jeremy, Roger and Doc Thorndike. One will need to read the book to learn what happens. Excellent book and a very good review.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

I enjoy reading historical fiction, particularly when it is well-written. One of them is this. I'm curious about Jeremy's age and whether he will be able to solve the problem.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: “TREMAINE” by James Harold Kelly
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 11%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

War could result in immense consequence and i think Jeremy experienced this. I would love to read about how he tackles this experience after preparing for it for a long time. I'm certain he found it different and exhausting. Reading the book would be an opportunity to know more about his life. This seems like an interesting book for the book of the day. Congratulations.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Anu Anand »

This story reminds me of how war can force individuals into unprecedented situations, testing their character and resolve. It's a reminder of the complexities and moral dilemmas that arise in times of conflict. One aspect I truly appreciate is that there are multiple inspiring characters in the book. Overall, it sounds like a compelling read. Congrats on BOTD!
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 511
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Going to war is hard enough since you would be away from your family. Now, add in the fact that you may have to kill someone who has a family and is only trying to do what they think is right. This book ought to be a great insight into the American Revolutionary War. Thanks for the review!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Dattatraya
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Unsilenced
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dattatraya.html
Latest Review: Teen Life Skills by Florance Philip
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Dattatraya »

:techie-studyingbrown:

Great, fantastic, and brilliant Review!

When I started reading the sample of the book I couldn't stop till I completed.
Superb writing style.
I am getting the book urgently to read!

The book deserves selection as BOTD!

:techie-studyingbrown:
EBERE WRITES COCEPT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-writes-cocept.html
Latest Review: Island Girl by Charles R Hinckley

Post by EBERE WRITES COCEPT »

"The Shot Not Heard Around the World" sounds like a compelling historical fiction novel that delves into the moral dilemmas faced by individuals during the American Revolutionary War. The idea of a young boy, Jeremy, grappling with the decision to take a life in a war setting is a powerful and thought-provoking premise.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

It's really sad that little boys were drawn into a war they have never started. It was unimaginable what they must have thought when they had to kill their fellow human beings. This book seems like a great discussion of that topic. Thanks for the amazing review.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

Stories about wars has a lot to teach us towards keep peace. I will consider reading "The shot not heard around the world" by Charlie damitz just to glean from the lessons in it.

Return to “Historical Fiction”