Review of Reflecting Gold

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Onyinyechi Orji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Review of Reflecting Gold

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Reflecting Gold" by Cynthia L Simmons.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reflecting Gold is Cynthia L Simmons' attempt at constructing a novel of thrills. It has in it a level of suspense that, though not of a deep nature, nevertheless retains some of the qualities of a thriller. It's one of those slow-moving thriller books that wrong-foots one as it goes along only to jump you in the end, thus providing an ending that is most often unexpected.

Set in the mid-1800s, it tells the story of a family who are the owners of a bank and go through a lot of things to keep it alive, as well as ensuring that they and their staff do not get ensnared in a murder case. The protagonists, Peter and his wife, Mary Beth, go to the bank one morning to discover that they have committed a robbery. Next, an irate soldier assaults one of their staff members after being turned away because of his inability to accept the bank's policy on loans. Later on, the soldier is shot dead, which leads to an investigation. With the threat of an impending war on them, they scramble about trying to clear their names and those of the bank and its staff. The police aren't involved as the sheriff of their town has moved away. It becomes up to them to find the killer as well as the person who seeks to discredit the bank. Would they succeed? Would the bank regain its good reputation? Or will it fall further into disrepute in the eyes of Chattanooga residents and face annihilation?

On the whole, the book sets out to preach certain things rather than try to thrill us with the course it takes in its investigation. Faith, love, care, and loyalty are the messages embedded in the book. It is mostly projected by the family, which also includes Anna, Peter's mom, Ruth, her daughter, and John, who is a friend of the family. Persistence and determination are also highlighted by the character of Mary Beth, who is constantly attempting to get to work while also assisting with the investigation, often at the expense of her health and safety. During this time, she is also seeking to conceive her child but ignores the doctor's repeated advice to get some rest.

I think it was a little clear that the author didn't have much experience with the procedures of a police investigation; hence her omission of their involvement in the plot. It is a clever choice. However, its absence meant that the thriller lacked the intensity that most good thrillers have. Aside from this, the book is well-written. Its organization is top-notch, and its enactment of some everyday occurrences is apt. The book was void of errors.

For people who seek books to expound on the themes mentioned above, this book is a good reference point. I agree with the Christian ideology of most of the book's characters and how they, especially our protagonists, exemplified trust in God to attend to their heart's desires. I'd give the book a three out of four stars for the reasons I mentioned earlier. I only refrain from giving the book a perfect score because the book lacked the intensity that I had come to associate with investigative books.

Reflecting Gold
View: on Bookshelves
Wren Michaels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wren-michaels.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Wren Michaels »

Great review and observation of the author's lack of experience with police investigation. Maybe the author can use this to improve.
Muswikeli Madzivha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Muswikeli Madzivha »

The level of suspense is fair ,
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruthwriter »

This will be interesting. trying to clear an innocent name from a murder you do not know something about could be challenging. I hope they succeed anyway. good review.
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

I am interested already 💃🏻💃🏻
Wow, I really love your review, it was carefully written without disclosing too much about the book and giving the right suspense. I love it.

Return to “Historical Fiction”