Review of Therapy for the Wounded Child

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joyjim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

Review of Therapy for the Wounded Child

Post by Joyjim »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Therapy for the Wounded Child" by Jerry W. Robinson, MAC.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The disintegration of many relationships and families can often be traced down to emotional problems or unresolved childhood issues. Therapy for the Wounded Child by Jerry W. Robinson is a concise therapy session in the form of a book.

This book is a biography of Jerry Robinson who worked as a missionary for years. However, problems which adversely affected his family began to surface. His first son, Steve, developed serious emotional issues which led to a nervous breakdown. Jerry also had serious emotional issues of his own which stemmed from an abusive childhood. His unresolved childhood trauma found a way to disrupt his family life. He realized that counseling sessions for all members of his family were needed. Jerry's counseling session was extensively covered in this book.

I found Jerry's story quite touching. It is enlightening to realize how emotional deficiencies can be passed down through the generations. Jerry's personal problems affected his parenting methods, which in turn affected Steve. Parents can learn much from this part of the story.

My favorite and most educative part of the book is the numerous counseling sessions. The methods, reasonings, and ideas of the counselor provide indirect counseling for the reader. I particularly found helpful ideas on page 87 which says in part, "Your body posture is revealing. When you walk with your shoulders rounded and head down, your body language tells me you have unresolved emotional and physical pain."

Another interesting feature in this book is the inclusion of poems. Some insightful poems can be found in the book. One interesting poem on page 47 is “Don’t be fooled by me. Don’t be fooled by the face I wear, for I wear a thousand masks, masks that I’m afraid to take off, and none of them are me..."

Overall, this book can provide much help for those who are holding on to some emotional baggage. Readers can learn much from how Jerry eventually found help. The book realistically shows that this is a gradual process and is hardly a smooth ride. On page 212, Jerry shared one interesting way he was able to release his pent-up anger. This and many other tips made this book quite resourceful.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was professionally edited. I have no dislikes about it. It is detailed and full of enlightening experiences. It is designed to help readers rebuild damaged emotional skills. Readers who are religious will also find that many ideas in the book are connected to the Bible.

Therapy for the Wounded Child
View: on Bookshelves
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

A bad childhood experience can adversely affect you as a parent and if you are not careful, it would find a way to creep into your home when you finally have one. I so much love this book and your review is what I was expecting to read, it was well written. Thanks for the review 👍

Return to “Historical Fiction”