The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
steinhm
Currently Reading: The Silent Boy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinhm.html
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

Post by steinhm »

Kristin Hannah is one my favorite authors and so far there hasn't been a book I disliked, but The Nightingale truly exceeded my expectations. I couldn't put it down, it was compelling, beautiful, heartbreaking and poignant.

The book tells the story of two sisters living in German-occupied France during WWII and follows them through their own journey through the war. Isabelle is the rebellious sister who gets involved in the resistance against the Nazis and Vianne is the quiet sister who must look after her young child and protect her from the horror's of war.

Hannah keeps you on your toes throughout, with many plot twists that you really can't expect. The story is told from two points in history: during the war and in the present day. Hannah keeps you guessing until the very end who the speaker is in the present day and that truly makes the story special.

The special thing about this book is that Hannah explores the horrors of war, but also about the strength of woman, and she explores this horrors in an elegant fashion and really shows the bravery women had to show during this time along with the role they played. This book stayed with me for a long time after finishing it. It brought me to tears and by the end I truly felt a connection to the characters. It was heartbreaking and beautiful and I could not recommend it more. This book will draw you in and you won't be able to put it down, and when you do you will be so overcome with emotion you won't be able to read another book for quite some time.
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Five Little Pigs
Bookshelf Size: 2290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Duplicated topic

The Nightingale
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Historical Fiction”