Review of Emma - Heritage Series Volume I

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Emma - Heritage Series Volume I

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Emma - Heritage Series Volume I" by Susan Diane Black Blackmon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Twenty-seven years ago, Ben took notice of her for the first time, and even then, he knew he would marry her. Things had worked out pretty well despite her Ma's initial disapproval. But then tragedy struck when fate took his beloved Jane from him, leaving him to carry the responsibility of eleven children, the youngest being Emma, who was just three. He definitely knew he had to take this responsibility on behalf of his dear Jane, and try as he may, he couldn't meet up. Panic and fear of failing overtook him. One day he decided to bring them a “mother.” That was what his children needed, he thought. Thirteen years later, Ben examines his life, and all he finds are shambles representing what should have been family. How would Ben fix this mess, especially as it affects his dear Emma? How bad had things gone because of a “mother" figure?

Emma: Heritage Series – Volume I by Susan Diane Black Blackmon is a simple yet alluring story of love, family, and hate, with the first two being an unbreakable cord binding the characters together. The start of the book had given a precedent story, thought to be the main plot, but that love story turned out to be a bedrock for the beautiful plot in the book. It all started with Jane but ended with Emma. I'd take Emma as the main character, being that she was mostly affected by the outcome of events in the book. When their “new mother" thought she had succeeded in putting them away, she didn't know she was only a tool in the author's mind, forming an exciting plot that would interest readers.

Relative to this, it is beautiful how amazing relationships originated from a box social, where the highest bidder got to have a picnic with the lady who prepared the lunch. Readers would find this interesting and humorous, which counts as a positive feature considering that it relates to readers' satisfaction.

The writing style of this book dates back to the 20th Century, using old props to define the scenes properly. As beautiful as this may look, the writer didn't do complete justice to give the story a definite narrative. Here and there, the book talks about using wagons, trains, and other significant symbolic expressions related to that time. But in terms of intrinsic description, that was not fulfilled. I state this because most of the story's activities in Caseyville had to do with indoor activities. But the story could have given a detailed description of what the indoors particularly look like, which makes it distinct from recent home structures. This was a basic limitation and a negative feature as well.

Other than the challenge mentioned earlier, Emma: Heritage Series – Volume I is a good read, and I rate it four out of five stars. An evil stepmother, good grandmother, excellent siblings, and charming suitor played perfect roles in the story. There were only a few errors in the book. Readers who enjoy family-based plots would surely love this one.

Emma - Heritage Series Volume I
View: on Bookshelves
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

Wow. By your review, tbis sounds like a good book and I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the review
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

In your review, you effectively encapsulated the essence of the book. Congrats! It is astonishing how wonderful connections were made at a box social where the highest bidder received a picnic with the woman who made the lunch.

Return to “Historical Fiction”