Review of The American Spy

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Review of The American Spy

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The American Spy" by Scott Wiegmann.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Mathias Jansen, the main character, is a brave American soldier who embarks on a mission to disrupt the German rocket program. Adolf Hitler's reign was one of the most heinous in German history. This government was known for religious discrimination against Jews, war crimes, the murder of innocent Jewish families, slave labor, and other atrocities. During WWII, the Allies fought valiantly against Germany to prevent the use of the V2 bomb. Nazi Germany was a major aggressor against the Allies. How lethal was the V2 in particular? Was Mathias successful in halting the German rocket program? To learn more, read this intriguing book.

In Scott Wiegmann's book, The American Spy, the real history of the First and Second World Wars was revealed to me. I was engrossed in this book because it gave me a realistic mental tour of the armed forces, covert intelligence agencies, and the circumstances of Mathias' covert existence in the civilian sector. The guide in this book, Mathias, takes you on a wonderful but dangerous journey. This book provides readers with more information about the Second World War from a different angle.

The writing style of the author is my favorite aspect of the book. I found it fascinating to read about Mathias' attempts to halt the German rocket program. The book is comprehensive and instructive. It taught me a lot, particularly about the Second World War. The characters had distinct voices and were well-developed. I have to admit that I never felt bad reading his book.

This book offers nothing to be critical of. However, I discovered as I read the book that numerous chapters were dull because of how thorough the military training and drills were. Due to the sheer number of characters, it became more difficult to recall some of their names and tell the difference between important and small characters, but these are just my personal reasons. After finishing this book, I was motivated to learn more about World War II. It was at that point that I discovered the author had used dates accurately, which is a commendable quality in a writer. After finishing this book, I realized how flimsy world peace is and how crucial it is for world leaders to make choices that would only advance global peace.

The editor deserves my praise for a job well done. There were no spelling or grammar errors, not even with the German names used, which must have taken time and effort. The book is exceptionally edited. I appreciate the author's time and effort in publishing this outstanding book, which sparked my interest in the events that led up to the World War and also helped me learn more about Nazi Germany and Adolf Hitler's reign. I rate this book five out of five stars since it provided me with a wealth of information about World War II. Readers who like combat stories and military fiction should pick up this book, in my opinion. It will appeal to them.

The American Spy
View: on Bookshelves
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for taking the time to review I agree that the author's writing style is one of the book's strengths as it allows readers to understand the protagonist's journey fully. I can see why some readers may have difficulty remembering the various characters, but I believe that the author effectively develops the characters that are essential to the plot. Furthermore, I'm impressed with the editor's job in ensuring that the book is polished and error-free. Your review has convinced me to add The American Spy to my reading list, and I look forward to exploring the history of World War II from a different perspective.
Ama Ra Chi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-ra-chi.html
Latest Review: Mama I Owe You Nothing by Simmer Breeze

Post by Ama Ra Chi »

This review is interesting and honest. Keep it up.
Fester John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fester-john.html
Latest Review: Making Life-Changing Decisions by Victor Chukwu

Post by Fester John »

Seeing reviews like this real amazes... keep it up the good work

Return to “Historical Fiction”