Review of The Adjusters

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: I'll Always Be With You by Violetta Armour

Review of The Adjusters

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adjusters" by Khalid Ebrahim.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The kingdom of Ghastana and others around it are plagued by the warring Northern Kingdom. The Northern Kingdom seeks to occupy the less powerful kingdoms. The act of war is not trivial, and a lot of treachery, dishonesty, and betrayal are bound to happen. In the ruins of the war, an orphan is found. The Adjusters: Part One by Khalid Ebrahim follows Symof, an orphan born during a time of war. Although his beginning might seem gruesome at first, he soon picks up with lovely people. He grows up with enough love to last a lifetime. His new life is more adventurous than the former, and despite the fact that he might not seem like much, he grows to be a handful under the tutelage of a renowned trickster, a mentor, and a father. 

Symof loves the new life and is determined to give it his all. He'd soon learn that with so much power in his hands, he'd have to shoulder a lot of responsibilities. Humanity at large is dependent on the outcomes of these missions he must embark on, and with little to no ability to directly influence actions, he must find new ways, alongside his uncle, of solving the problems of the world. He learns firsthand that in a crumbling world, it is impossible to save everyone because humans are the most powerful determiners of their fate and the fate of the world. On a journey through different times and wars, does he watch humanity destroy itself or does he do the best he can to ensure the continuation of the species?

The Adjusters is an audacious attempt at storytelling. The plot is relatable in a variety of ways, and the diction is simple. There is a lot of enlightenment in medicine, the sciences, and wars. The book could easily serve as a guide to a history long forgotten. It delves into the human mind and the autonomy of our decisions. Furthermore, we’re reminded of the impacts of man’s courage, innovation, sacrifice, and even greed on present-day civilization.

As much as I loved the writer’s attempt at storytelling, he constantly relied on past historic events as major points in the book. As earlier stated, the book would easily pass for history rather than adventure. War (World War I), volcanic eruptions, and tsunamis are just a few of the events discussed in this book. A large number of stories and events are stretched out until the chapter becomes drab. There are also a lot of scientific and medical nuances that are unnecessary. Then there is the point of Symof’s foster family, where only his stepbrother is touched and not much else is known about them. Symof’s growth and relationship with his foster family are all poorly documented.

I did not find a single error in this book. This signifies that the book was exceptionally well edited. Still, the writer could have done better with some characters, as the originality of a few of them was questionable, and an avid reader or movie expert would point out similarities with characters found in popular books and novels under this genre. Yorguror and Zorguror seemed like characters out of Star Wars. For the reasons stated above, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves science fiction or adventure and needs an escape for the day.

The Adjusters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
CrossK
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

The Adjusters is an audacious attempt at storytelling. The plot is relatable in a variety of ways, and the diction is simple. There is a lot of enlightenment in medicine, the sciences, and wars. Great review.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

It's the story plot for me. The book is not just a recreational book, it is also informative and educative. From your amazing review, I can see that the author put in a lot of research into the medical fields, the sciences, and war stories.
Neora Wish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neora-wish.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Neora Wish »

This book perfect for all lovers of well-told stories. Thanks for your great review and a sweet sammary. I feels like I had read the entire book from your review.
Annas Felix
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annas-felix.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Annas Felix »

I already see that I can learn a lot about science and medicine in this book. That's great. I can't wait to add it to my shelf.
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

A book that teaches a lot about medicine, love, war and so many other themes is worth adding to my shelf. Thanks for an insightful review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”