The Dress Lodger

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melissa Coffield
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15364">Odd Thomas</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-coffield.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 2595

The Dress Lodger

Post by Melissa Coffield »

This is an absolutely incredible book. A definite" must read" but be prepared; parts are difficult to read because of the horrible, inhumane things done during the time this book takes place. The author gives a very "accurate" description of the time period.
You will not be disappointed with this book. It is a definite "page turner"
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

It may well be "absolutely incredible" & I love Historical Fiction but I'm afraid your post doesn't give me anything to entice me to put it on my long and evergrowing list. You haven't even told us what era the book is set in.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Melissa Coffield
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15364">Odd Thomas</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-coffield.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by Melissa Coffield »

I appreciate your critique. I will try to do better

The Dress Lodger, by Sheri Holman, takes place during the 19th century in the midst of the industrial revolution and a cholera epidemic in a quarantined town in England. Gustine is a 15 yr old prostitute trying to survive and care for her sick baby with death and poverty surrounding her.The author accurately describes and throws her characters into the atrocities of the time. Medical professionals digging up and stealing dead bodies for research. Gustine's pimp believes they are also purposely infecting the poor, which was a common thought during cholera. Gustine is wrapped up in the horror of all of this. It is her struggle for survival

Return to “Historical Fiction”