Review of Betsy and Catherine

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of Betsy and Catherine

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Betsy and Catherine" by Helen Gailey.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Helen Gailey's book, Betsy and Catherine, Lady Catherine of the Blakewood house, a lady of noble birth, was best friends with Betsy, a servant's daughter. Betsy's mother was a cook, and her father was a groundskeeper at the Blakewood house. Lady Catherine's father, Baron Kensington, had instructed the young women to desist from the friendship from childhood, but his words fell on deaf ears. They learned how to read and write together, and as the years went by, the bond between the girls grew stronger. They shared their romantic fantasies and swore to each other to always be together. Betsy became Catherine's lady maid, but the girls were separated when Catherine traveled abroad with her cousin. Betsy's sister married, and Catherine returned from abroad in love with a nobleman named Lord Edward Bannister. The future of Catherine and Betsy took an unexpected turn when they found themselves searching for adventure in the wrong place.

The storytelling was simple and straight to the point. The story was relatively fast-paced, as it didn't take the author long before the main details of the plot were revealed. This made the book an easy read as the story progressed smoothly. Although the beginning parts of the book gave an insight into the book's ending, it still did not dampen the novelty of the rest of the plot revealed as the story progressed.

This book was emotional and became even more emotional toward the end. The author was descriptive with the storytelling, allowing the emotions to come through, especially during the unique journey of Catherine and Betsy. The story's plot provided many surprises for readers. One minute, the story was mellow and replete with a childlike happy ambiance. The next minute, the story shifted in a shocking direction that might leave readers frustrated and appalled. This shocking twist would probably keep readers going with anticipation till the end of the book because of the life-or-death urgency it brought to the story.

One of the central themes of this book was friendship, and the author expertly showcased this with the relationship between Catherine and Betsy. Their friendship was unbelievable and enviable and was even more impactful with the contrast between Catherine and Betsy's social and financial standing. Betsy and Catherine's friendship would be the book's highlight for many readers. There was much to be learned in this story about kindness, love, and loyalty from the girl's friendship and many other characters in the book, like Catherine's father, Baron Kensington.

This book was about the potency of friendship and loyalty. The author created admirable characters that exhibited such bravery in extreme situations. The story was heartwarming, though I would describe it as an acquired taste. The book was well-edited, and I found nothing in it to dislike. Fans of historical fiction would appreciate this book. With nothing negative to say, I'd rate Betsy and Catherine five out of five stars.

Betsy and Catherine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
dvadtsatdva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by dvadtsatdva »

I love friendship. I also love a close bond of womens that may or may not lead them to falling in love with each other in romantic or platonic way, and I love women but I feel like this book would definitely make me cry at the end either on the verge of joy or depressive state. Overall this book is highly recommended! Love the book cover xoxo.
Nwoko E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-e.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nwoko E »

One of the central themes of this book is friendship, and the author expertly showcased this with the relationship between Catherine and Betsy. Great review.
AnaCarter
Favorite Book: Julu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by AnaCarter »

Great Review! This sounds so good! I need to get this
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

How did their adventure go in the wrong place? Sounds like Betsy break her loyalty to Catherine because of Lord Edward. The storyline for me sounds incredible. I like how the author developed all of the themes, plot, and characters. For sure it is a one-of-a-kind book. Thanks for your interesting review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Historical Fiction”