Is Historical Fiction Growing in Popularity?

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: An American in Scotland
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Is Historical Fiction Growing in Popularity?

Post by bookowlie »

I've noticed that more historical fiction books are getting "buzz" in the past year or so. Are readers becoming more interested in this genre? Are writers becoming more interesting in this genre? I know I am starting to read more of this genre than I used to.

-- 26 Apr 2015, 09:50 --

Oops, sorry for the typo!.....I meant to write "becoming more interested". :) Of course, writers are becoming more interesting, too. LOL LOL
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

It's always been one of my favourite genres & no doubt series like The Tudors & Downton Abbey have helped.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I agree! I am a big Downton Abbey fan. I've learned a lot about the culture of that era from watching it. One nice thing about historical fiction is I always feel smarter after reading a book set in a certain period. It's great to learn something about different time periods, especially ones I know very little about. :)
glittermomma81
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glittermomma81.html

Post by glittermomma81 »

I have loved history since my days in school as it was my favorite subject. But I definitely do thing as of late that historical books are becoming more and more popular due to movies and hit tv shows as well as the social media and sites. There is more of a backboard now a days where others can share their opinions of as well as all the marketing stuff on some sites that see what your reading and give you suggestions.
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

I have always loved historical fiction so I am glad to see the genre getting a boost, so to speak. It is kind of ironic that such things as TV shows and social media can make reading certain books more popular.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
Krizelle101
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krizelle101.html

Post by Krizelle101 »

Historical fiction books have always been one of my favorite genres. Most of my books are of this type. I have always been curious about how people lived their daily lives back in those days. One of the things that caught my interest was England particularly its architecture, the customs of its people and their fashion which was always spectacular and grand. Although reading books of this genre have recently lost its magic for me. Maybe it's because of the predictability of the stories or the lack of variety in the books that I read.
jhforres
Currently Reading: In the Kingdom of Ice
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhforres.html

Post by jhforres »

I think that human history has always been an engaging subject. As a society we are often tethered to our past, no matter how hard we try to convince others (and at times our selves) that we are only looking ahead. I love historical fiction. It is my most favorite literary genera. I devour anything and everything remotely related to historical fiction that I can get my hands on.
Briana Fitzpatrick
Currently Reading: Seven Years to Sin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briana-fitzpatrick.html

Post by Briana Fitzpatrick »

I have ALWAYS loved historical fiction novels. They make reading so much more imaginative because, if it is written well, you find yourself wishing you lived in that time period rather than the world now!:) Honestly, I really do hope that historical fiction becomes more frequent on bookshelves because they are truly so incredible!
avid reader28
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avid-reader28.html

Post by avid reader28 »

Yes, I strongly believe so 8) :D
AnnaReads11

Post by AnnaReads11 »

From the point of view as a high school student, I feel as if all the author I read (I read a lot of Ya book) have taken historical event and changed them the make the there own! For Example; The Hunger Games I feel would be the life we live if America hadn't won the revolutionary war! Not sure if that was a good example but hopefully yall get the point! But as a highschoolee I read a lot of historical fiction!
Hcollins1221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hcollins1221.html

Post by Hcollins1221 »

I have always loved historical fiction, especially novels set in World War II era. As students become less interested in history taught in schools, historical fiction provides a wonderful alternative to learn history outside of the classroom. I think it is growing in popularity and will become more common in the education system.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

If you think abou it, the potential for a historical setting increases as each day goes by. 50 years from now, people will be writing historical fiction set in the time of the War on Terrorism or whatever. I kind of cringe at the fact that I just wrote those words, but well... it's true, I think.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

ALynnPowers wrote:If you think abou it, the potential for a historical setting increases as each day goes by. 50 years from now, people will be writing historical fiction set in the time of the War on Terrorism or whatever. I kind of cringe at the fact that I just wrote those words, but well... it's true, I think.
Strange but true. I look back at the September 11th attacks and think this subject will be in historical fiction years from now.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

bookowlie wrote:
ALynnPowers wrote:If you think abou it, the potential for a historical setting increases as each day goes by. 50 years from now, people will be writing historical fiction set in the time of the War on Terrorism or whatever. I kind of cringe at the fact that I just wrote those words, but well... it's true, I think.
Strange but true. I look back at the September 11th attacks and think this subject will be in historical fiction years from now.
Exactly. And that was already 14 years ago (almost)! Technically it's already a historic event!
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

ALynnPowers wrote:
bookowlie wrote:
Exactly. And that was already 14 years ago (almost)! Technically it's already a historic event!
It's a historic even to my kids. My 12-year-old was born a year after September 11th. To them, it is an event in history that their parents witnessed. We talk about it when the anniversary comes, because my husband and I still remember the horror and sadness of that day, but I can tell that it is not "real" to them.

In a similar way, that is how I viewed things that my parents witnessed. Like the Vietnam War or JFK's assassination.

Very interesting thought, ALynn.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson

Return to “Historical Fiction”