Review of Ponderosa Pines

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Ponderosa Pines

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ponderosa Pines" by Annette Gagliardi.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Different people react in different ways when faced with perilous situations. While some individuals panic, others maintain composure when faced with a crisis.
This was the case for the Stabnow family as they patiently waited for an evacuation notice during the deadwood forest fire of September 1959.

Ponderosa Pines: Days of the Deadwood Forest Fire is a book authored by Annette Gagliardi that gives true accounts of the deadwood forest fire of 1959, which claimed 4500 acres of land and several private properties and is recorded to be the most devastating fire outbreak in the state of South Dakota.

The daughter of Bill and Anne Stabnow and the story's narrator, Annette Stabnow, takes us inside their first-hand experience during these tough times. On the morning of September 8, 1959, the Stabnow family and their cousins, who all lived together in Lead, were going about their daily business. The older kids got ready and showed up at school. As usual, Bill went about his mining job at the Lead goldmine, and everything was pretty normal until the fire outbreak. Schools were closed concurrently with the evacuation of the deadwood schools. Everyone in Lead was told to prepare to evacuate, according to the news source. Residents of the town were getting ready to evacuate as the fire quickly consumed deadwood. Anne prepared for the worst-case scenario with her children. After making all the necessary preparations, they awaited the government's instructions regarding the evacuation notice, while Bill was among the volunteer firefighters on the scene of the fire outbreak.

I felt the ferocity of the circumstances as I read this book. While waiting for an evacuation notice, Anne is under pressure to control the situation at home. Although her sister-in-law helped, it couldn't have been easy to maintain her composure with her husband among the firefighters working frantically to put out the fire, but I was genuinely impressed by her poise. She gave everyone hope and never wavered, even though she had 13 kids to take care of. I learned from the book to appreciate how simple my life has been, and I realized that nothing is guaranteed.

I liked the author's narration in this book. The intensity, suspense, and fear of the day were recorded seamlessly and in a friendly manner. I especially liked the tea party Anne and Aunt Dolly organized for the children just to lighten the mood. Even though Annette at that time was young and vulnerable, she appeared to be the smartest among the children. I liked how she always had silent thoughts that questioned the ongoing situation they were faced with. I also liked how the author documented the casualties at the end of the story. It answered some questions I had been asking while reading the book.

I enjoyed reading this book, and there was nothing I disliked about it. I encountered no errors while reading, which is proof of exceptional editing. For this reason, I would give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

People who have run out of options and are looking for a ray of hope should, in my opinion, read this book. The book will cheer those who are downhearted and serve as a beacon of hope in otherwise bleak circumstances.

Ponderosa Pines
View: on Bookshelves
Rexclinton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rexclinton.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Rexclinton »

Having to wait in an emergency situation may be even more harder. Anne was a very strong woman for handling the situation at home so gracefully
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

I can't imagine losing all to a fire and having to start afresh. I hope Annette and family were able to recover from this mishap. Interesting review.
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

Just from the first paragraph of your review, I was able to surmise that I would love the storyline immensely. I love the portrayal of the characters and their feelings. And it's fascinating to discover that it has an appropriate amount of suspense embedded into it. Thanks for an awesome review.
Newestobc
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-newestobc.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Newestobc »

Your review is so amazing. It made the book interesting to me and I think I will have to read this book. Congrats on your published review. I look forwards to more from you.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

I do find the title of this book confusing. I need to search the keywords to find out the meaning of the title the author used. I'm enjoying your review sincerely speaking. It is unique. Looking forward to reading this book.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:

Grace Lee Rose wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 01:38 Just from the first paragraph of your review, I was able to surmise that I would love the storyline immensely. I love the portrayal of the characters and their feelings. And it's fascinating to discover that it has an appropriate amount of suspense embedded into it. Thanks for an awesome review.
Thank you!
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:

Newestobc wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 04:21 Your review is so amazing. It made the book interesting to me and I think I will have to read this book. Congrats on your published review. I look forwards to more from you.
thank you for your kind words!
Online Concept
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezel-dornelles.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Online Concept »

It's surprising how one's life can change in a blink of an eye. No one planned for it, but they all had to adjust their life to the current situation It must have been to evacuate, not knowing where to go and having to leave things behind. I also admire Anne's bravery.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

This is an interesting review. I like the way you wrote it. One would know what to expect in the book. I’m adding this to my shelf so I can read.
UcheNduka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchenduka.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by UcheNduka »

I wouldn't have guessed what the story entails from the book caption.
Your review gave an exhaustive account of the story and what to expect.
It is such a heart-wrenching story and I hope that Anne and her family found succour eventually.
Great review.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

The summary of this review is engaging, I wonder how they were able to cope with that incident. Nice review.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

"Ponderosa Pines" by Annette Gagliardi is a book with a unique story about the deadwood forest fire of 1959. This is is an eye-opener about forest fire.
Silvia Idahosa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvia-idahosa.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Silvia Idahosa »

When you read about certain events, you realise how the normalcy of our lives can be displaced in just a few moments. Being Anne could not have been easy at that moment. I like how you highlighted how real and intense it was to read this book, and also how friendly it was portrayed. It is a blend I would like to read and see for myself. Great review.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

Witnessing ghe destruction of one property is indeed a horrible experience. It is relaxing to know that some people escaped the fire. Wonderful review well done.

Return to “Historical Fiction”