Review:The Kommandant's Girl by Pam Jenoff

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Courtney-61
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-61.html
Reading Device: 1400699169

Review:The Kommandant's Girl by Pam Jenoff

Post by Courtney-61 »

The Kommandant's Girl by Pam Jenoff is an excellent read if you like a book with suspense, action and moral dilemmas. Emma Bau is a 19 year woman who volunteers to help the Jew resistance by infiltrating the Nazi headquarters. Talk about facing your fears! Pam Jenoff does a nice job creating a physiological profile of Emma. You can feel the fear and anxiety as you read so you don't want to put it down. Emma is a secretary for the Kommandant and is placed in a great moral dilemma. It's truly an eye opening book that makes you question what would you do if you were Emma? This book lets you see how some Jewish people fought back and the sacrifices they made during the Holocaust.

-- 04 May 2015, 16:01 --

Also check out The Diplomat's Wife if you liked The Kommandant's Girl! The Diplomat's Wife takes a side character from the Kommandant's Girl, Martha a fellow resistant member and tell what happens to her after you leave her in The Kommandant's Girl. Martha has a miraculous love story that makes you want to cry because of how beautiful it is. Though I should warn if you get attached to characters like I do you may have to read this book in pieces. When I first read it I threw the book across the room and didn't pick it up for a couple months, but I'm glad I did because the ending was worth it. Both books are good but I like the Kommandant's Girl better, I always like the first one the best.

Return to “Historical Fiction”