Review of A Time to Shine

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Review of A Time to Shine

Post by Amanda Warner »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Time to Shine" by Donovan D. Corzo.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Time to Shine by Donovan D. Corzo focuses on Daniel Core, a Navy officer who was part of the world war. On December 17, 1941, he received a vmail from his mom showing her concern for him. She also disclosed to him in her letter that his brothers had also supported the war by joining the Marines and Army. After reading his mother's letter, he was called upon to fight enemy ships and aircraft that had been sighted. They were able to take down a few enemy aircraft and ships, but unfortunately, while they were settling in, an unexpected torpedo hit their ship, killing almost half of the crew on board and damaging it. With his dying breath, Mr. Begley made Daniel a warrant officer and acting captain. He told him to get the crew to safety and that he was their only hope. Will Daniel be able to lead this crew? Was he able to complete the task and sail the crew to safety? Grab a copy of the novel A Time to Shine by Donovan D. Corzo to learn more.

While reading this book, I understood that sometimes making the wrong decision can take a bad turn, especially when the lives of those around us depend on it. I also got to understand that no matter what we do, we shouldn't let what other people think about us affect us, as was the case with Daniel and Admiral Jenkins, who never believed in him at first despite his efforts.

I adore Daniel's love for his wife Kim-Yee and also for Hailey and Jack. I also like how he stood up for Hailey after she was harassed at school and got into a fight with her classmates. I like how he handled the situation. I also liked how Daniel looked out for his comrades, following how he went back to help Fahit after he fell and sprained his ankle during their training, and even their training officer, Gunny Fagot, was impressed with that.

I did not see anything that I hated about this book, as it was engaging and interesting to read. I also got to learn a few things about the military, even though I was not too familiar with the military terms used in the book. Sometimes I had to search for the meaning of some of the terms used. And also, I did not find a single grammatical error while reading this book, so I believe this novel is exceptionally well edited. I, therefore, give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to those who are interested in books concerning family love, military activities, or war, as this book is a combination of all of them mentioned.

A Time to Shine
View: on Bookshelves
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

For some reason, I just like the book title.😊
The review is great too. Thank you.
Tokede Kolawole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tokede-kolawole.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books A Second Kiss Goodnight (A Bedtime Story) by Steve William Laible

Post by Tokede Kolawole »

A time to shine indeed. It pays to keep working hard and doing the best we can at all times because we never know when ọ the opportunity to shine comes knocking just like it did for Daniel.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

What an huge task that was handed over to Daniel! I’ll like to know how he was able to achieve that, if he did at all. I’ll love to read this. Good job!
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I believe that the task given to Daniel was his time to shine. Did he shine well / not is in the book and I look forward to reading. Well done
Onyeso Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyeso-njoku.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Onyeso Njoku »

Opportunities to prove ourselves come most times when not prepared I hope Daniel was able to utilize this opportunity to prove his capability.

Return to “Historical Fiction”