Review of The Silver Setup

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of The Silver Setup

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Silver Setup" by Richard Blaine.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Michael Garret is a private investigator hired to find Charles Stevens, the missing husband of his newest client, Lenore Stevens. The body of the prominent man shows up in Lancaster’s hot spot for drugs and prostitution, raising the question: why was the wealthiest man in the small town there in the first place? Who would want him dead? It’s 1948, and the local police want to tie the crime to the mob, but with little to no evidence, the case is a long shot. Will Garret solve the mystery of what happened to Charles Stevens? Or will the death go down in the books as an unfortunate suicide?

Can you put together the clues before Garret? Read The Silver Setup by Richard Blaine to find out! This historical mystery was well worth the read, and I enjoyed every minute! I loved how the author presented Michael Garret and how he won me over with his wisecracking personality. He was a bit of a jerk, but his penchant for taunting and getting on people’s nerves grew on me as the book progressed. It didn’t take long for me to anticipate the taunts and banter, and I was soon cheering him on to solve the case before the police. Garret probably deserved a few more punches than he got in the early chapters, but he more than paid his dues by the end. He was an underrated hero who got the job done well, and I loved the epic finale of this novel.

The author delivered an excellent case that kept me guessing the whole time. Even when I had strong suspicions, Blaine kept me on my toes with misdirects and suspicious actions from unsuspecting characters. I loved how the clues came together and how well the author tied up all the loose ends. The conclusion was easy to follow, and I loved the fantastic final chapters. In hindsight, every subtle clue throughout the novel became clear, making this book a satisfying standalone read.

There was nothing that I disliked. The book seemed professionally edited, with only a few lingering typos. The author executed a fine story with a perfect mix of characters and elusive answers that Garret pulled together for an excellent crime novel. Therefore, I give The Silver Setup five out of five stars.

I recommend this novel to readers who love historical mysteries with action and suspense. Garret finds himself in a few skirmishes, so there’s a bit of violence and mild swearing but no erotic content. I highly enjoyed this book and hope to see more from the author in the future.

The Silver Setup
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tokede Kolawole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tokede-kolawole.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books A Second Kiss Goodnight (A Bedtime Story) by Steve William Laible

Post by Tokede Kolawole »

Garret is quite the character. His manner of getting on people's nerves makes him quite the detective since it will make people act irrationally around with their guard down. Great review.
SarahAnnHaywood
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahannhaywood.html
Latest Review: Sent to Watch by David J. Lebenstein

Post by SarahAnnHaywood »

Thanks for this descriptive review! I love a good historical mystery, and your enthusiasm for this book is compelling. I’m going to pick it up soon!
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Magnets
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-reeves.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Alex Reeves »

The name certainly matches all the tension in the book as portrayed in your review. What could the wealthiest man in town be doing in the hotspot for drugs and prostitution. Maybe he made some enemies there, and they tracked in to his spot and killed him. I just can't stop guessing how this book ends. Great review, by the way. Have a great week.
“Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted to bear.”
Marcus Aurelius :tiphat:
Victory Ilagha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Victory Ilagha »

Great review. I think the name of the book matches the suspense it portrays. However, I'll pass on this as I'm not a fan of historical mysteries, action and suspense. Well done

Return to “Historical Fiction”