Review of Project: 211

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Review of Project: 211

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Project: 211" by Sammy Maida.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

As the Nazis continue their deadly rampage across Europe, their brutal war machine is faced with serious challenges as the Allies land on the beaches of France to liberate the countries from the grip of Hitler. Under the guise of scientific exploration, the Germans are developing the use of nuclear weapons. The race for the most destructive bomb has begun. Alarming intelligence indicates that the Germans are not giving up and are developing weapons of mass destruction in a secret location. Major James Casey, a military pilot working with the French Resistance, must find out what the Germans are up to and stop them before it’s too late.

Project: 211 by Sammy Maida is plot-driven historical fiction that will pique the interest of all adult readers. I chose this book because I love this genre and am intrigued by stories that have historical components to them. This one certainly surpassed my expectations. The book has no shortage of historical icons that are woven into the story. Hans Kammler, the notorious SS engineer in charge of Nazi weapon programs, is a central character. Nuclear scientist Jacques Bergier also plays a central role in this tale. I enjoyed how the story unfolded to tell a part of history that is not known to many people, and this author makes history come alive with his well-rounded characters and engaging plot.

The best part of the book is the voice and the description of the setting. Author Sammy Maida captures well the large-scale turbulent atmosphere of the time period. “What if what we have been taught is the perverted version of the truth?” The author’s question presented in the beginning of the book rang through my head as the plot was revealed, and I could not help but feel the tension as the psychological aspects of war are described. How close did we actually come to losing this war? Could there be any truth to the conspiracy theories that circulate around the internet? The best part of the book is the end, where the subplots all come together and are resolved.

There was nothing I disliked about the book itself. There are quite a few errors in grammar, though. Because of this issue only, I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. Had there been fewer errors, I would not have hesitated to give it a perfect rating. On a minor note, the cover of the book does not do it justice. The idea behind the illustration is gripping, but the presentation looks a bit elementary and made me wonder if this was a book for younger readers. This is, of course, just personal preference and did not affect the rating.

I recommend Project: 211 to history enthusiasts. Those who enjoy reading stories about World War II will savor the historical details about the era. There is some violence, though, and moderate profanity throughout the book. The graphic scenes may be disturbing to younger viewers, but in a way, this made the book more realistic, as it shows the peril and brutality of war.

Project: 211
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

You’re right; the cover does seem out of place for such a sophisticated book especially considering it contains profanity. I, too, enjoy historical fiction. I’m curious about the conspiracy theories you mentioned and how they will affect Major Casey.
Monale Bariyima Ueh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monale-bariyima-ueh.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Monale Bariyima Ueh »

Professionally editing is integral to having a great book. The presence of errors that could have been avoided takes away from a book and makes the work feel sloppy.
Nicholas Bush
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholas-bush.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nicholas Bush »

I love your review for this book and i must admit that it is was worth the read. Would be nice to read this book someday ASAP. adding it to my bookshelf. Nice review.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I have less background knowledge of WWII, and this book sounds appealing to me. I recently read a book about the Great War and I love it. So, I think I feel the same about this book. I think I will thoroughly enjoy Hans Kammler's character. This is an awesome review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

Your description of the book intrigued me. The stories behind the Natzi have always caught my attention. Now I'm looking forward to reading it. You did a wonderful job. Amazing review!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

My favourite type of book! You are right, the cover is not appealling at all.

Return to “Historical Fiction”