Review of Ambitions

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Review of Ambitions

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ambitions" by Frank Baillargeon.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Frank Baillargeon's novel Ambitions is a tale of hope. The author tells the tale of John Morrissey's parents, Tim and Judith Morrissey, two poor Irish immigrants. The family was having a very difficult time because they were working so hard to feed themselves. When John reached twelve, Judith suggested he start working so they could have more money. John followed the suggestion and started working because he had no interest in going to school. He spent his free time with his gang members on the streets while he wasn't at work. Due to his street fighting, he eventually realized how much he enjoyed it and decided to turn it into a career. Did he fulfill his goal of becoming a professional fighter? Learn more in this book.

I became interested as I read about John and how he worked tirelessly to achieve success. John's life is what I would call a journey of hope if I were to give it a name. This book was written beautifully by the author. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I admired John's ascent from the streets to the palace due to his dedication to being a successful professional fighter. I've learned from reading this book that your passion and drive for success are more important than your background. While you cannot change your place of birth, you may decide who or what you will become in the future. Despite his humble upbringing, John was tenacious and determined to succeed.

In this book, John is my favorite character. His bravery and zeal inspired me. Despite all the difficulties he encountered as a child, he never gave up, and on his path to stardom, he persevered despite taking several injuries during competitions. I was impressed by the author's inventiveness. Having a positive mindset when facing life's obstacles is another lesson I took away from this book. After reading this book, I was inspired to pursue my aspirations more.

I have nothing against this book. The reader will learn something from each chapter in this book. John's tale shows us that everything is possible if you work hard enough to get where you want to go. I must applaud the author for a job well done. I will not fail to thank the editor because there were no errors found in the book, which indicates that the book is excellently edited.

I rate this book five out of five stars because it taught me to focus on my goals and be resolute to pursue them. Everyone should read this book, but I strongly urge young people who are disheartened by life's many obstacles to do so. They will get a lot from the book in addition to enjoying it.

Ambitions
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I think John fulfilled his goal of becoming a professional fighter. I can sense it based on how dedicated he is to what he does. I agree that it is up to us what we will do to our life; focus on the things that we can. It's not the background that defines us, it is who we are and what we become that change the lives of many in a positive way. Thanks for your wonderful review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

This is an inspiring book. Despite John's background, he was determined to venture into something that many people would consider a risk. I've learned that no dream is too big to be achieved. I love your review.
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

From this point of view, this book could truly be an encouraging and exceptional tool for a spirit of willpower that truly wants to succeed. The review interests me and I love it.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

I like how John didn't allow his circumstances defined him and did well with his life by becoming a professional fighter. Wonderful review well done.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

It’s awesome to see that John was able to turn a bad situation into one of success for him. One would have expected him to continue to be a street thug, but instead he made himself a professional fighter. Awesome review!
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Post by Amanda Warner »

Ambitions Frank Baillargion seems like an amazing book to read, and your review gives insight into what should be expected in the book. The story is an interesting one judging by how John had to start working at a tender age because his parents were not rich and how he discovered his career as a professional fighter.
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

This is an inspiring and emotional story, despite all the hurdles John faced while pursuing his ambition, he never gives up. Nice review
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

I found the fact that John didn't take his street fighting negatively but used it to pursue a possible career with it. This novel encourages people to hope and work hard. Lovely review.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

I know many families that suffer like Morrissey's parents. But my joy is that the parents didn't give up on him and they fought to prevail. Good job.
Nathaniel Sarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-sarah.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nathaniel Sarah »

This suggests that the book has the potential to be an extraordinary and motivating resource for those with a strong sense of will and a desire to succeed. Great review.
Ayilaran Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayilaran-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Ayilaran Emmanuel »

Doing what you desire brings great result... John turned street fighting into professional teaching, moving from small begining to a greater ending...
Wonderful review
Fergie Jess Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jess-edeni.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Fergie Jess Edeni »

This is an inspiring book. Despite all that John faced, he never gave up. This is an exceptional performance and review. I love it. Great job.
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

After reading the story of John Morrissey's parents it was clear to me that we all hope in any situation we found our self. Good review.
Main Readar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-main-readar.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Main Readar »

Wow! What a great and interesting plot. I have hope that John get the type of life he wished for himself as he turns his hobby into a career.

Return to “Historical Fiction”