Review of The Architecture of Historic Clinton Hill

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of The Architecture of Historic Clinton Hill

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Architecture of Historic Clinton Hill" by Mr Rickie James.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Architecture of Historic Clinton Hill: Brooklyn, New York from Charles Pratt to the Present is a non-fiction book authored by Rickie T. James. This book traces the construction of Clinton Hill in Brooklyn, New York, from 1830 to 1930.

Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, experienced its golden age from the middle of the 19th century to the middle of the 20th century. The region had significant infrastructure development during this time, and many of the stunning mansions constructed during this time are still standing today and have earned the distinction of being New York City landmarks. Rickie T. James used this medium to identify the architects who designed the grand houses known as mansions today. Charles Pratt, Hobart A. Walker, Mercein Thomas, Herts and Tallants, and Montros W. Morris are only a few of the well-known architects covered in this book. During Clinton Hill's heyday, all of these architects made significant contributions to the real estate sector.

The lavish architectural styles of the region's well-known structures are described in the book. One of the opulent structures is the gothic revival-style house at 284 Clinton Avenue, which was the first William W. Crane home constructed in 1854. Since it has withstood the test of time, this structure has acquired the distinction of being a New York City landmark. The author displayed in this book the various exquisite mansions from that era, which are still standing today.

While reading this book, I was fascinated to see such displays of wealth during times that are not as civilized as the 21st century. The author did an impressive job of identifying these structures and documenting their origins and architects. The pictures of each structure were identified and illustrated extensively. I got to see a clear picture of some of the most lavish mansions on Clinton Avenue while reading this book. The author also discussed the role Quions played in the Clinton Hill community at this important time of rapid development. I was very impressed because before reading this book, I had never come across the word "quoin" or even had a clue as to what it was.

One of the buildings that particularly stood out to me was the General Morgan Bogart mansion, designed by Mercein Thomas in the 1880s. It is important to note that the author of this book is passionate about old structures and derives great pleasure from preserving them, and that love drove him to write this book. The book is not just a story; it is a documentation of the works of talented architects during the 19th century. One thing I liked about the book was the author's simplicity in writing. In detail, he described each building with a picaresque style that is pleasing to the eyes. I also appreciated how he gave a brief history of Charles Pratt, known as the father of the Clinton Hill Gold Coast concept, from 1830 to 1891.

The Architecture of Historic Clinton Hill: Brooklyn, New York, from Charles Pratt to the Present by Rickie T. James is a 46-page book that is exceptionally edited and written in simple language. I found absolutely nothing to dislike in the book, and there was no error spotted.

For these reasons, I will be delighted to give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. The author did an impressive job of enlightening the readers about the architectural history of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn.

This book will appeal to those who enjoy old architecture and engineering history as well as anyone interested in the history of Clinton Hill real estate since its heyday.

The Architecture of Historic Clinton Hill
View: on Bookshelves
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

The author did a great job by identifying the structures and documenting their origins and architects as this will encourage a lot of readers to accustom themselves to each structure when mentioned in the book. Well written review
Monale Bariyima Ueh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monale-bariyima-ueh.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Monale Bariyima Ueh »

Wow, I'll love to experience the mentioned buildings and locations through the author's eyes. The author is quite fascinated with architecture. It's amazing how architects can come up with a magnificent design out of thin air.
PinkRose572
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chika-oroke.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by PinkRose572 »

I am amazed to read about the things written about Clinton Hill real estate in this book. I haven't heard about this exceptional great buildings constructed in the nineteenth century. I hope to give this book a read, and I am happy it is exceptionally well-edited and written in a simple language to aid comprehension.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I enjoy reading your review. It’s so simple and easy to understand. I’ll like to read this book. This will be a great medium to learn about historic buildings. Good job!
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

Temi book wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 02:34 I enjoy reading your review. It’s so simple and easy to understand. I’ll like to read this book. This will be a great medium to learn about historic buildings. Good job!
Thank you very much dear.
Onyeso Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyeso-njoku.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Onyeso Njoku »

New York, is one of the best cities in the world, and it will be interesting of knowing about the group of architectures that contributed massively to the infrastructural development of the city. Nice review.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I am not a fan of architectural works but I find the description of the buildings the authors mentioned fascinating and look forward to reading the book.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

This book sounds like a historical fiction or nonfiction book. I love how the reviewer is honest with the review and also detailed. Amazing job!
Joyce Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

From the title of the book, I can deduce it will be under the historical fiction genre. I don't think the book would appeal to me. Nonetheless, thanks for the well-written analysis of the book.
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

This is an interesting and fascinating review, I would love to know more about these architectural patterns and buildings. Thank you for this wonderful review.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

This review is captivating and appealing though the book is not my kind of book. Good job on this wonderful review. Keep it up.
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

The Architecture of Historic Clinton Hill by Mr Rickie James is a book that gives an incite on the construction if a monumental part of new York.
Oluebube Prisca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluebube-prisca.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluebube Prisca »

I have never really understood when people say new is always better and we hold on to the old because of the nostalgic feelings. Though I know nothing about architecture. I appreciate the book.
Tari egai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tari-egai.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Tari egai »

Your review was very well done and I commend you for it. However, I don't believe this book aligns with my personal preferences, so I don't think I'll be reading it.

Return to “Historical Fiction”