Review of The Destiny of Wysan

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azuka Jessica
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of The Destiny of Wysan

Post by Azuka Jessica »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Destiny of Wysan" by John Arfstrom.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Science and history have it that the current homo sapiens evolved from animals and passed through different stages. We also hear that the pace of development is different among these humans. The Destiny of Wysan is a book by John Arfstrom that reflects this.

There were three categories of humans living on the land at that time. The San, Apemen, and lower animals are among them. While the San were more humane than the others, the apemen were in between the San and the animals. The leader of the apemen, Ghan, noticed the humans’ presence and led his team to kill them. The apemen massacred Wysan’s tribe and took five alive, including Dawn, Wysan’s wife. Wysan, at that time, got an inspiration that led to the discovery of the bow and arrow. He ran excitedly to inform his tribe of his discovery, but his excitement quickly disappeared when he discovered the ruins of his tribe by the apemen. What decision will Wilson make? What is the significance of his discovery in this story? What is Wysan’s destiny? Read this book to find out.

I love how the author gave evidence and authenticated his story. In the book’s preface, the author includes the foundation on which he built the story. The characterization was perfect. The author made sure to introduce each category of characters. He described the San, the apemen, and the animals, giving their characteristics, strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. In this story, I saw all the features of animals on display. I enjoyed the book better because of this, as I understood why some people behaved the way they did. It was insightful.

I’ll say that the author set the book in Africa, given that he mentioned the continent in the book. As it should be, the apemen’s language was archaic, but the San used a normal language. It is probably to showcase that the San were more intelligent. The author also included a map of the whole area and its habitats. It helps with better understanding through the facilitation of imagery.

The only part of the book that bothered me was when the apemen ate the sans. Imagining that was disgusting. I also want to question why the author set the events of the book in Africa because it will only help to authenticate the beliefs of people who consider Africans as forest animals. I enjoyed the book regardless. I was fascinated by the thoughts of Wysan that led to the invention and naming of bows, arrows, huts, and traps. The book was also professionally edited, as I found only two errors while reading. Therefore, I rate this book five out of five stars.

I recommend this book to lovers of nature and historical fiction. This book will teach historians and scientists about animals, their habitats, and the evolution of humans.

The Destiny of Wysan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shedrack A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

Though I'm not really a fan of historical fiction, your review has got me wondering about the significance of Wilson's discovery. I always love to read books with facts backed up by evidence, and this author did just that. Good one!
Monale Bariyima Ueh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monale-bariyima-ueh.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Monale Bariyima Ueh »

The plot of this book is quite intriguing. I like the preface you mentioned the author gave to every category. This will definitely help with understanding the character and give readers a better experience. I also like to know why the author set the story in Africa?
Ebele Ekelobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

A book about the evolution of humans will be a very insightful read. I'd learn a lot from it. Great review.
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Agbata Trust »

Evolution a concept that keeps getting new wherever I read it. It a very broad concept and keeps going on and on. How this one seems peculiar as it shows humans evolvement. This review is amazing.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

This is a fascinating book with interesting storyline and characters. I’ll really love to read this. Though I find the characters somehow confusing. Nice review!
Gabriele Mattia Leonardo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriele-mattia-leonardo.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Gabriele Mattia Leonardo »

The Destiny of Wysan by John Arfstrom is a book that's not easy to pass up on. It really shows the genius of the author. Exceptional.
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

I found a book that interests me so much. I want to know the author's beliefs. Thank you for a nice review.
3mperor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3mperor.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by 3mperor »

I like the way the author describes evolution from his own point of view. I’m quite interested to find out more about this book. Amazing review! You did justice,
3mperor
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3mperor.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by 3mperor »

I like the way the author describes evolution from his own point of view. I’m quite interested to find out more about this book. Amazing review! You did justice.
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

On one hand, this looks like a book that I would love to try out, on the other hand, it looks like something I wouldn't be that interested in. This is an amazing review and I would love to know how the author described evolution from his perspective.
Chiamaka_Glory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-glory.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chiamaka_Glory »

I love how evolution is explained from the author's presumed point of view. I believe from the descriptions given in the review, it will become interesting to the readers. Nice review.
Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egenti-ignatius-chimaobi.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi »

Efficient characterisation of a book is one of the key things an author must do for his book to stand out. From your review, it can be deduced that this author took his time to do this. Good job.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Post by Medina Fedrick »

I haven't heard of San, Apemen and the rest before, I wonder if these are real or just an idea the author had.
Anthony Ekemezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Crucible of the Damned by Jason Brookshier

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

A book that teaches about animals, their habitats, and the evolution of humans is one I am interested in reading. I have always been fascinated by science and historical fiction.

Return to “Historical Fiction”