Review of Achim's Story

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Review of Achim's Story

Post by Flourish Sunday »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Achim's Story" by Bettina Spicer Owens.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"The greatest moments in life are not concerned with selfish accomplishments, but with what we do for others." Unfortunately, wealth is often used as a yardstick to evaluate a person's accomplishments, especially after death. The ideal standard should be life quality rather than life quantity: quality in terms of how many people the person has assisted and how many times the less fortunate have truly felt happiness, love, and peace as a result of that assistance. When humans prioritize living by helping others grow and become useful rather than accumulating wealth, life becomes wonderful.

Achim's Story by Bettina Spicer Owens is a biography of Joachim from his childhood to his old age. Joachim Wedekind aspired to be a sailor. He pursued his dream with zeal and courage. He is the only child of Ernst and Gisela Wedekind and grew up in West Berlin, Germany. He is a curious and daring young man who chose to sail around the world instead of following the traditional path of becoming the heir to a family business. He nearly drowned in the Baltic Sea after being suspected of being a German spy. Was Joachim able to overcome all of these obstacles and become successful? Why did Joachim's stepdaughter, the author, decide to write about him? Read this incredible book to learn more.

The authenticity of this book, which is enthralling, amazing, and full of lessons, is among the factors that kept me captivated by it. I love how the author penned the biography of Joachim in a captivating manner. I respect Joachim's tenacity because he faced the challenge head-on when he decided to leave the safety of his father's home and forsake the chance to work in the family business in order to pursue his ambition of becoming a sailor. Joachim gave me the confidence to go after my dreams, despite how difficult they might seem. Joachim decided to live life to the fullest; he tried to help others and was thankful every day. He sets an example for everyone around him to follow in his way of living.

Joachim is my favorite character in this book because he refused to be reliant on his father's wealth. He decided to pursue his dream and was determined to succeed without the help of his father's wealth. The author's writing style is excellent. I found it difficult to put the book down as I followed Joachim's story. 

Unfortunately, I can't say I enjoyed everything in the book. This book overemphasizes the stories of World Wars I and II, Hitler, and the Nazi government. These took my attention away from the protagonist and dulled the plot. Though these are my personal observations, they are insufficient reasons to deduct a star. I'd like to thank the author for sharing this incredible story about her stepfather. I also want to thank the editor for a job well done because the book is flawlessly edited and contains no errors. For these reasons, I give the book five out of five stars. Fans of historical fiction and combat stories should read this book.

Achim's Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I like when someone chooses to be different, when they choose to go a different from what everyone has chosen. It takes a courageous person to do that. Nice review!
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I agree with you that the standard measurement of life should be based on quality and not quantity. People we blessed and impacted. The book seems like a book I would be blessed reading and I look forward to reading it. Well done.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

I agreed with your opening quote. Many have failed to truly appreciate life without attaching wealth. I wish the author could stay with the plot without over emphasising WWI, WWII, Hitler and Nazi government.
Omobolanle Savage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

It must have been a trying time for Achim in his journey to wade through all those difficult moments especially, to be accused of being a spy. I enjoyed your detailed review of this book.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

I believe this would be a book full of life lessons as indicated by your opening quote. Achim's ordeal in navigating through life will be a handy lesson for young people who are just trying out life.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Omobolanle Shittu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-shittu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Omobolanle Shittu »

Joachim's deciding to leave the comfort of his family's reach and cover is commendable. It is amazing to see he achieved a lot notwithstanding what the turmoils along his life's journey. Well done reviewer.
Precious Anavheoba
Currently Reading: Bright Expanse
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

I think I also agree with Joachim being a good character. Not relying on past wealth so desperately is something to be admired. I also believe that a lot could be learnt about the world wars here.
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Post by Amanda Warner »

Life has different parts for different people, and Joachim chose his own part by not being his family's heir and becoming a sailor. I know he went through different challenges to become a sailor. Nice review.
Nathaniel Sarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-sarah.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nathaniel Sarah »

I think this standard should be implemented in our day-to-day life, your wealth should not be measured with your accomplishments, rather it should be measured with the people you have helped. Your review is so captivating and interesting. Good job
Obc Contentor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-contentor.html
Latest Review: The Underground Faith of God's Multiverse by Tim Ferguson

Post by Obc Contentor »

I do like to read the life story of people who dares life. I hope Joachim is able to come out without been beaten too much by life'a obstacles.
Blessing Otuokere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Blessing Otuokere »

I like how you've highlighted the different elements that make this book so intriguing, from the coming-of-age story to the thrilling plot twists. Your review has piqued my curiosity about the book's storyline, and I'm excited to read it for myself.
Nletachi Otuokere
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nletachi-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Nobody To Me That The Road Would Be Easy by Floyd Thompkins

Post by Nletachi Otuokere »

Your review has made me even more interested in reading this book and engaging with these important issues. I so much love every detail in this review

Return to “Historical Fiction”