Review of The Blessed Coat

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Review of The Blessed Coat

Post by Patty Allread »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Blessed Coat" by B. Elaine Clegg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Blessed Coat by B. Elaine Clegg is a novella set at the end of World War II. It is a historical fiction based on a single act of kindness. George Albert Smith, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was walking to his Salt Lake City office on a particularly cold and blustery day when he saw a group of laborers clearing ice from the curb. One of them had no coat, so Smith gave the man his coat along with his blessing. Read this lovely story to find out how one good deed made a difference in the lives of many.

Clegg tells us that the incident of President Smith giving his coat to the worker is factually accurate, but she was unable to learn much about how the gift affected the worker. The author used this moment to creatively write what might have taken place. At first, I didn't like reading the story because there was little or no character development, and I was bored. But as I kept reading, I realized this was a different kind of book; there were many little stories within it. I liked Clegg's imaginative tales based on the circumstances of individuals affected by and recovering from the devastation of World War II.

Clegg's writing is simple and straightforward, and the editing is exceptional because I found no errors. The author doesn't attempt to teach or preach to the reader directly. Though Smith is Mormon, other characters are from various backgrounds, so I wouldn't say the book is particularly Mormon or strictly Christian. For instance, some blessings are religious in nature, but others are expressed in terms that most people can relate to, regardless of their beliefs.

There is a slightly cloying sentimentality overall that is not my cup of tea. I would have liked more characterization and something in the storyline to give it genuine excitement. As it is, these are nice stories, but they are a bit flat. The term I would use to describe the stories is "moral fable." For this reason, I rated the book four out of five stars.

Today, we like to say, "Pay it forward," to describe helping another after being helped yourself. This is the theme and strength of The Blessed Coat. The book is such a quick and easy read that anyone looking for a pleasant and positive story would enjoy it. I also recommend it for young readers aged nine and up, and it would be appropriate for group discussions with youths.

The Blessed Coat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Lennox Kuyokwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lennox Kuyokwa »

The reviewer has summarised "The Blessed Coat ", very well .
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I agree that one small act of kindness can change the lives of many. You'll never know what has been through to that person. Moreover, I like a moral fable book. So maybe I like to try it soon. Thanks for your nice review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I agree that one small act of kindness can change the lives of many.
Thanks very much for your comment.

Return to “Historical Fiction”