Review of Why Are You Crying, Mama?

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Review of Why Are You Crying, Mama?

Post by Darlings O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Why Are You Crying, Mama?" by Thang Za Dal.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The title Why Are You Crying, Mama? does no justice to the artistry and excellence the author executed in this magnificent book. Most historical romances are either filled with more romance or more history. This book gives a healthy balance to the two in such a way that keeps the reader's eye glued to the book.

Thang Za Dal, in this book, talks about a young woman who marries a young black man who saves her from a fatal accident that could have claimed her life and the family’s struggle to keep up with the racial discrimination that occurred on the couple and their colored child. Due to the discrimination regarding their skin color, her husband leaves her, and her child runs away. She has a couple of trysts with other men and has children with them. Then the fathers of the said children try to get into her family through the children. How does she deal with this?

I love the plot and execution of the novel. I enjoyed the way the simple but complex title of the novel expanded into a deeper, thrilling, and exciting story of love, religious belief, and societal consequences. I love the way that the numerous religions revealed in the novel did not affect the overall direction or morale of the story. I love the compartmentalized chapters that reveal the time frame each part of the story was happening in and how the chapters were a gradual progression to the end despite the flashbacks. This prevented any form of disturbance to the flow of the story bringing about a smooth and easy read.

I would also like to point out that the book had an important moral lesson that people tend to ignore taught in this book, and that is the acceptance of other people's views even though they might clash with your views. It also teaches the benefits of accommodating people's ideas, thoughts, and looks and how it bridges and tends to eliminate racism.

The book is a good read. From the beginning to the end, the book was exhilarating. The overall experience was excellent, as the book was professionally edited. I found only a few typographical errors while reading it. This leads to me giving the book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I found nothing to dislike about the book.

I believe this book would go a long way in helping people who have been struggling with various forms of discrimination or just want a book that would broaden their intellectual spectrum or just soothe their minds. It is a must-read if you would want to lighten your day and you are a lover of romance and history. This book is sure to enlighten you as well as make your day.

Why Are You Crying, Mama?
View: on Bookshelves
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

The title is what I wish I never ask Mama. Besides, no one deserves discrimination irrespective of race, sex, or religion. I like to read this book. Thanks for your wonderful review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

I love the complexity of the romance storyline and will like to read this book. Thank you for a detailed review.
Rahul Singh 29
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-singh-29.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 31%

Post by Rahul Singh 29 »

"For 'Why Are You Crying, Mama?' commendably captures the book's rare balance between historical depth and romantic intrigue. Thang Za Dal skillfully addresses the racial discrimination faced by the central characters, adding depth to their struggles. While successfully piquing interest in the book's captivating narrative, a more detailed exploration of specific literary elements and a critical analysis would have enriched the commentary. Nonetheless, it effectively conveys that the book is a unique historical romance worth exploring for its engaging blend of love, hardship, and societal tension."
Life is a play where we are the actors and the audience, We laugh and cry, love and hate, create and destroy,
We seek to know ourselves and others, to belong and to be free, We accept what we can and change what we must.

Return to “Historical Fiction”