Review of From Hell to Home

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Review of From Hell to Home

Post by Jay David Randall »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Hell to Home" by DJ Power.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

From Hell to Home: The Final Vietnam Story by DJ Power is a historical fiction that depicts the tales of corporal James Coleman. James Coleman is taken out of a body bag after being confirmed to still be alive. Chaplain Prete noticed James's body bag move, and out of curiosity, the chaplain requested a medical professional check on James. When he was confirmed not dead, he was rushed to the emergency room for surgery, where, luckily for James, they got a bullet out of his head. He was ordered to leave his family and fiancee back home and also not write to them for a long while. After recuperating from the bullet wound on his head, he continues to work in the Marine Corps, and as he resumes his duty as a CIA agent, he gets flashbacks of past events and missions. The big question lies here for James: will James perform his duty properly after the debilitating injury to the head? What connection can James make from the flashbacks he gets so often? Find out more when you grab a copy of the novel From Hell to Home: The Final Vietnam Story by DJ Power.

What I found most appealing in this novel was the plot. It began with the traumatic beginning of a brave officer, James, who was initially confirmed KIA but later resurrected or given a second chance to do better. Another point that intrigued me about this novel was James's bravery and selflessness, which were displayed at the end of the novel when he and his teammates were to capture Colonel Bai Chin Cheng. He knew he would slow them down, so he told them to leave him and accomplish the mission, knowing full well that he might not make it if they didn't return. I also like the flashbacks the author employs in this novel; these flashbacks and memories give the readers valuable knowledge to understand James's past life and how it connects with his current life. This novel was able to elicit an emotional response from me as I derived joy when I noticed James survived the gunshot wounds, but I also derived sad feelings when I noticed the mental and physical suffering he was going through due to his head injury.

There is nothing that I dislike about this novel; it was easy to understand and comprehend. Every chapter of this novel was exciting and mind-capturing. It didn't feel like reading a book to me; it felt like watching a movie. And also, I only noticed a single grammatical error in this novel, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it.

I would wholeheartedly give this novel a rating of 5 out of 5 stars because I enjoyed every chapter of it and because there was no character in this novel that didn't have a unique role to play and spice the novel up. The novel was exciting and entertaining to read. I encountered a single grammatical error, therefore I would state that this novel has been professionally edited.

I would recommend this novel to readers who enjoy reading novels with historical fiction, action, adventure, and romance, as these are themes employed in the novel by DJ Power. I would also recommend this novel to adult readers, as there is some usage of profane words in the context of this novel.

From Hell to Home
View: on Bookshelves
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I am a fan of historical fiction. Though I don't usually choose war stories, I like the premise that James gets a second chance at life and has to deal with his head injury.
Onyeso Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyeso-njoku.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Onyeso Njoku »

This is an interesting novel I look forward to reading this novel to find out more about the life of James Coleman if he was able to perform well after that terrible gunshot wound.
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

What a fascinating storyline, now I am eager to read this book. Thank you for a lovely review.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

From surviving a bullet wound to being forcefully separated from your family, James is a strong man!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

The book looks really interesting. However, I'm not sure if I would pick it up because of the use of profanities. Thanks for the detailed and informative review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Post by Amanda Warner »

Yes, I believe James was given a second chance after surviving a gunshot wound to the head from the Vietnam War. And him having flashbacks because of the head injury would definitely affect his performance in life and as a CIA agent. Nice review.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

James surviving is kind of telling us the end or showing us a peek of the end of the story. I admire the author's method of writing the flashbacks and i like how you added it in your review.
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

I already feel the thrill and intrigue in this book. It's interesting how James survived his head wound. What would he do about the flashbacks he got?
Chibee Glory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chibee-glory.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chibee Glory »

James had a series of traumatic moments from the injury he sustained. I hope he survives this and be a better CIA agent.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I imagine the turn of events when the priest noticed that James might still be alive. The story seems to have an interesting plot. Well done on an interesting review
Precious Anavheoba
Currently Reading: Bright Expanse
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

This book sounds like a bag of suspense and thrills. It has a captivating storyline indeed. Trauma is not good for even the strongest of humans. I feel bad for James though.
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Agbata Trust »

What an intriguing book tittle. We appreciate life more when we read stories of how war is. This is a book alot of poeple needs to read.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

This sounds like an intriguing story. I’m quite surprised that James survived the bullet wound on his head. And now, am curious about the flashbacks he’s getting. I will add this to my TBR. Great job.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

This is quite interesting. It’s really rare to see people recover from an headshot. This sounds like an intriguing story. I’m interested. Great review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”