Review of The Rock at the Bottom

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reader_noc
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-noc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Re: Review of The Rock at the Bottom

Post by Reader_noc »

Stephen certainly made a wise decision in deciding not to follow in his father's footsteps. I hope he is able to lead a life very different from who his father was.
ANN KIMUYU
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ANN KIMUYU »

This book sounds interesting due to the life lessons portrayed and it would be nice for me do get an understanding of some of the challenges some people face out hear. thanks for the review.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

There are some days that I am like Stephen- living in my imagination. How hurt it is for him whom his family branded him as a killer. I'm thinking if he will have a married life as his mother and father did before. Would Stephen follow in his father's footsteps? This thing wants me to get this book. Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Thank you for the great review! Bravo! It was very helpful. :-)

Today's BOTD is Book 3 in the Lorna and Tristan series, but can easily be read as a standalone novel. Filled with romance, suspense, and life lessons, readers will not only fall in love with the characters, but also the storyline, as its details and descriptions will pull you in from the start and not let go until the last page! Thank you again and keep up the great work! :-)
Samuel Jonathan 3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Samuel Jonathan 3 »

Sooo glad Stephen didn't look down on himself after been called a killer because, of course, it's it his fault that his mother died. A very nice book though. I really enjoyed reading it. Stephen and Julie, hmmm, for Julie to have left her rich home to stay with Stephen, I don't think that's a good idea but it's love we're talking about here so it is what it is.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 86225
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1380%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book 📖 of the day BOTD is historical fiction and book 3 of Lorna and tristen series Stephanie life start his life under a loud of haterad his dad's hurdles complete Stephanie life, she move out with his childhood friends and marries the tenacious.i like how the analogy title show up unexpectedly in Stephanie story. I will recommend it 💯 was well written and reviewed
Lefhika Pheto
Currently Reading: Earth Magic
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Lefhika Pheto »

Your summary of the book hits all the key elements, I'm really interested in reading the book now. Amazing review 👍🏽
Tari egai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tari-egai.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Tari egai »

Interesting review , every body has choices to make in life and I trust Stephen to make the right one , I would love to read this beautiful piece ,thanks to the reviewer
ToniaSteve Gajdosik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-gajdosik.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by ToniaSteve Gajdosik »

To maintain a healthy attitude among a huge dosing of abuse is quite admirable. I am happy to see Stephen turn to writing to escape the bad situation in his family life. Although one cannot change the way others act, one can own their reactions and their own decisions and ultimately come to the understanding that others do not make you who you are, but you make you who you are.
Towfiq Juma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-towfiq-juma.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Towfiq Juma »

it's a moving story about the power of hope and resilience in the face of adversity. It explores themes of grief, faith, and the human capacity for healing and growth.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I like the life lessons, and especially the first one mentioned. It feels like this book has more depth than the usual romance novels, I find myself intrigued by Stephen's background.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting historical romantic fiction novel highlighting childhood trauma, a captivating plot, and extremely detailed descriptions. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Medina Fedrick wrote: 13 Feb 2023, 11:52
Despite being fictional, there are many life lessons in this novel, and I've chosen two: the first is to not let other people's opinions of me define or control me, and the second is to learn to let go of both past wrongs and the individuals who caused those wrongs.
I truly loved your review and the two life lessons you mentioned therein. It is truly a heart-wrenching story with a glimmer of hope. I especially liked the part where Stephen stands up to his father before he leaves his house for good. I am adding this to my "To read" list. Thank you for your excellent review.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Adeyemi7201
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Adeyemi7201 »

Yeah, this is the type of stories I love. I can consider reading the book. The book can serve as a motivation for those who came from a broken homes. I loved the decision that Stephen made not to follow his father's step and lead a good life. He could have decided not to drink but go astray but thank God the author didn't allowed that. I think Stephen would be able to lead his family in the right path since he has not considered his own immediate family as a role model.
Joule Mwendwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: From Doubt to Do by Kat O'Sullivan

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

I have sampled this book, and the part I read left me with a lot of questions. How was Stephen, at the age of six, already a murderer? Not only that, from this review, there is romance, which makes this book my preferred next read.
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela

Return to “Historical Fiction”